02.10 - at the deep end

"Most people drown when they're re-learning to swim

"Most people drown when they're re-learning to swim." 

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Cassie slammed the car door shut, adjusting the sheath on her back as her feet hit the ground.

Everything was ruined - the yard they were so proud of now overrun, her beloved mural downtrodden by the Governor's walkers.

She felt arms sling tightly around her waist, a familiar head of her brother's shaggy brown hair bury into her chest. She felt him sniffle onto her shirt, his head shaking back and forth in an attempt to be closer to her.

"Hey." She gently pulled his head back, taking his puffy cheeks in her hands. "You okay?"

"We nearly lost you." He sniffled.

"You didn't lose me." She ran her hands comfortingly through his hair. "I'm right here."

"I'm sorry I didn't do what I was told. I should've- I- I yelled at mom too much," he sputters, his eyes misty with tears.

Her mouth dropped, her brother's words hitting her like a knife to the heart. Her eyes stung, growing cloudy as she slowly brought him pack into her chest, her hand resting gently on the back of his head.

"Carl, you're thirteen, you're not supposed to do as your told," She muttered, squeezing him tightly. "And mom loved you so much."

"But she didn't know I loved her back." He sniffled.

"She knew."

He lifted his head, tears falling freely from his blue eyes. "Promise?" He choked out.

"I promise." She pulled his head back again, gently wiping his tears with the sleeves of her jacket.

"Come on, you daft idiot." She smiled, gently ruffling his hair. "You'll be fine."

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Rudy gave the two Grimes a nod of acknowledgement as they walked in, before swiftly turning his attention back to the scene in front of him.

Everyone was gathered on the stairs, as far as they could possibly be from Merle Dixon, who was locked in the furthermost cell.

The air was thick with tense anger and fear, everyone's shared hatred of the Governor interlinking in a messy knot of vengeful rage.

"We ain't scared 'a that prick," Daryl spat through gritted teeth, his boots clicking heavily against the stone floor as he paced.

"Y'all should be," Merle sneered. "That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell."

"Let's put him in the other cell block." Maggie sighed.