01.2: pretty much dead already

In which our hero discovers the rules

______________

Cassie sat sandwiched between her mother and brother, scoffing down scrambled eggs. She hadn't tasted anything this good in a long while.

Carl noticed his sister's ravenous appetite, and tried to slide some of his eggs onto her plate. She noticed, sliding them back again. When Carl tried to do in again, Cassie threw a few of the egg at him. He chuckled, and threw it back to his sister. She giggled at pulled his hat over his head.

Cassie turned her gaze to Rudy, who was talking to T-Dog. He seemed happy, telling stories of his time out on the road as the older man listened intently.

"Um.." everyones heads pricked up as Glenn began talking. "So... The barn's full of walkers."

____________
◇◇◇

Cassie stared at the barn, holding her brothers shoulder tightly as everyone fought.

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this." Shane shouted, walking toward her father.

"No, I'm not but we're guests here. This isn't our land." Rick replied.

"God this is our lives, man!" He yelled, wagging his finger.

"Lower your voice!" Glenn pleaded desperately. Rudy placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug." Added Andrea, hand on hips.

"The hell you can't. They haven't been a danger up till now." Cassie interrupted, releasing Carl from her grip.

"And who gave you a say, huh?" Shane stepped menacingly toward her.

"Don't talk to her like that." Rudy warned, moving infront of his friend.

Cassie ignored his gesture and moved herself back infront of Rudy. "These people have opened their home to you. It ain't hurting you to do this their way."

"Shut up." Shane spat. "This ain't right. Not remotely. We've either got to go in there, make things right, or we've just gotta go."

"We can't go." Rick hoarsely said, holding his hand out to his friend.

"Why Rick? Why?"

"Because my daughter's still out there." Carol spoke up, causing everyone to turn their heads.

Shane sighed, running his hands along his face. "Okay. I think it's time we considered the other possibility."

"Shane, we are not leaving Sofia behind." Rick snapped.

"I'm sure he'd be fine with that on his conscience." Cassie muttered as Carl's head moved slightly at his sister's confusing words.

"I'm close to finding this girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago." Daryl butted in, throwing himself toward the evil man.