2.07 - enemy of my enemy

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

For some reason, Cassie hadn't expected the baby to stir during the night. Or maybe she had, but she expected Lori would be the one to tend to her.

She and Beth took it in turns, carefully checking as to why her wailing lungs had woken them this time.

Neither one of them had slept much, and Beth was now slowly falling asleep, her face sure to land in her porridge.

Cassie gently nudged her, giggling as she jerked awake, her breakfast smudged on the tip of her nose.

"Everybody okay?" Rick asked, carefully walking to the two scattered tables where the group ate breakfast.

"Yeah, we are." Glenn replied, staring Rick down worriedly. "Are you?"

"I cleared out the boiler block." He announced, shifting nervously on his feet.

"How many were there?"

"I don't know." His head was jerking, as though he didn't want anyone to see his face. "A dozen, two dozen."

He walked toward them, placing each of his hands on his two eldest children's backs. His touch was an attempt at reassurance, but it wasn't soft like it usually was.

"I have to get back. Just wanted to check on the kids." It didn't slip by Cassie how he was avoiding looking at the baby, his eyes anywhere but on the miracle infront of him.

"Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies. You don't have to."

"No I do." He let go of his kids. "Everyone have a gun and a knife?"

"Yeah, we're running low on ammo, though." Hershel replied.

"Maggie and I were going on a run this afternoon."

"Oh --- could you try and get some flowers?" Cassie asked, remembering the vigil she wanted to make for her mother.

Everyone knew by now that there was nothing of Lori left to bury, but - just like she had with Vincent's victims - she wanted to do something to honour her mother; to show her life meant something.

"Real or fake?" Maggie asked, jotting 'flowers' messily on her left hand.

"Whatever you can get your hands on." Cassie smiled, handing the baby to Beth with the intention of pulling her father aside.

"Course." Maggie smiled.

Turning away from her friend, Cassie quickly realised her father had already managed to slip away. She got up from her seat, following him into the tombs.

"Dad." She called, running after his speeding figure. "Dad!"

"What?" He stopped, slowly turning to face her, his face distant and unfamiliar.