25. Yasmine's decision.

Tell me how it feels to break my heart after I have given it to you.

The corridor was painted white with black calligraphy and designs and the pillars facing the garden were covered with light curtains, making the place a bit dim. He sauntered silently on the tiles, blending into his abode and he stopped sighting another tall figure standing by one of the pillars. His brother has moved the curtain, allowing the mid-afternoon sun to caress his skin, his light blue eyes sparkling with the light. 

He turned around after acknowledging his brother's presence and smiled as ever. 

"Assalamu alaikum Akhi Marwan," he greeted enthusiastically. 

"Wa alaikumussalam," Marwan returned and shook his hand. 

"Congratulations on an improvement in the case," Aman said after they separated. Marwan raised an eyebrow and shook his head, "It is not my case to be congratulated, go and meet Jaasir instead," 

Aman simply waved his hand at this. "Come on, we all know that you are helping him," 

"You must be naive if you think so," Marwan immediately rebuked him. 

Aman shrugged and said, "That's what we all see but it's a great help to the empire. It's just that, having not given up on the crown prince's position, I wonder why you help Jaasir this much. I can't help my curiosity," 

"Are you trying to get words out of my mouth?" Marwan asked placidly. "You aren't any different, are you? Since when did you gain interest in overseas matters?" 

Aman smiled and shook his head. "That sounds like a secret-seeking question," 

"So you know what a secret is?" Marwan scoffed. He sometimes detested this behavior of his younger brother. Jaasir was straightforward most of the time, Marwan was the secretive and silent one, while Aman was a sly fox. He usually acts like he cares less about the throne struggle but what he does isn't hidden from anyone. 

Aman was unfazed and he casually rubbed his chin. "You know, I just realized that building power inside the empire and protecting its borders is given more focus Akhi. We should improve our relationship with the surrounding countries and empires. Let's aim at a better future and not always stay backward," 

Marwan narrowed his eyes. "The more outsiders enter the empire, the more atrocities happen. Look at what happened recently, aren't there foreigners in our suspect?" 

"But we also have insiders right?" Aman smirked. "Destruction can never happen without an inside work. Blocking outsiders isn't what will still things like this. Even if we stay as we are, they will happen. They have been happening.  So, it's inevitable," 

Stepping closer to his brother, Marwan's eyes grew colder. "We know that, as we are not naive. I will advise you not to let your greed for power rise so that you indulge in dirty work with anyone because there are ears and eyes everywhere. The wind travels with words, ya Akhi." he slapped his shoulder and added, "I know what I said is baseless to you but….have a nice day," he walked away to the hall door while Aman narrowed his eyes. He sighed and held his hands behind him, as he left. 

Meanwhile, Jaasir was in a good mood after the trial, not just because of the outcome. The culprit was likely not his brothers but it was still close. Nevertheless, his plans are working and after this trial, the case would lie for a while which will give him time to do other things. Like staying around Yasmine. It's been three days since he last saw her and he wondered what she was thinking about his proposal. The more the hours moved, the more he felt he should make her his. He would be relieved only when she was safe physically and emotionally.