-CHAPTER FORTY FOUR-

November 20th, 2015Kyra's POV

November 20th, 2015
Kyra's POV

I sighed heavily as I looked in the mirror, my graduation cap in my hand, I applied a bit of lipgloss before I heard my mother call me, "Coming!" I yelled out to her before nodding and leaving my room.

Graduation. I have waited for this day practically my whole life, now it's finally time for me to grow up.

I walked down the stairs and Calum's eyes widened slightly, "I honestly can't believe you're graduating." Calum fake cried.

"Calm down, you're graduating too." I laughed.

"Don't remind me!" Calum exclaimed before leaving the house, my mum following behind, holding onto a secret that she couldn't keep forever.

———

"Kyra Ace Jackson Hood." As my name got called out my hands shook as a stood up and walked towards the stage to grab my diploma, the sound of the guys squealing my name proudly made me smile.

I stood on the stage, a wide smile spread across my face as I looked through the crowd, looking for one person in particular before our eyes finally met and I smiled wider.

Luke.

———

After the ceremony, my mum walked up to me and Calum and pulled us aside, pulling us into a quick hug.

"I'm extremely proud of you guys!" Mum smiled before turning serious, me and Calum looked at each other in confusion, "I've been keeping something from you and I'm telling you now before it's too late." Mum spoke seriously with tears welling in her eyes.

"What's wrong, mum?" I asked.

"I have cancer."

———

November 23rd, 2015
Kyra's POV

After finding out that my mum didn't have long to live, I didn't want to go to the formal, I wanted to stay in bed and cry but then I remembered Marcus.

Looking in my mirror, I sighed. My red dress fitting my body perfectly almost made me want to throw up.

"Kyra, honey! It's time to go!" My mum called out, I sighed squeezing my eyes shut before walking downstairs where the guys all stood.

"Okay, we ready to go?" I asked as I stood in front of the boys.

"Don't we have to wait for your date?" Luke asked rolling his eyes.

"Oh, he's gonna meet me there." I shrugged.

———

As I walked into the club where the formal was being held, I couldn't find Marcus, so instead I walked over to the tables and chairs and sat down thinking that Marcus would show up.

Half an hour later, he still hadn't arrived so I messaged him. No answer. I sighed knowing that I had been stood up.

From a far, a didn't notice Luke looking over at me.

Luke's POV

"I knew it. He's just like the rest. He's stood her up." I scowled.

"You don't know that, Luke." Ashton said attempting to calm me down.

"She's been sitting there for half an hour!" I exclaimed, "I'm going over there." I said as I started to walk towards her but Michael pulled me back.

"What if he shows up?" Michael asked.

"Then, it's his loss." I shrugged before walking over to Kyra, "trouble in paradise?" I asked as I reached her.

Kyra looked up at me and sighed, "yeah, he's not coming." Kyra shook her head sadly.

I rolled my eyes and held my hand out for her to take, "dance with me." I offered.

"What?" Kyra chuckled.

"I'm not kidding. Dance with me." I smiled, Kyra hesitantly took my hand before I pulled her onto the dance floor as a slow song started to play.

"Why are you doing this?" Kyra asked me as my hands rested on her waist and her arms were settled around my neck.

"No one deserves to be stood up. Especially if that person is you..." I mumbled, Kyra looked up at me, our eyes meeting.

Kyra was the first to look away, a small smile on her face before she looked back at me.

"I didn't know you could dance." Kyra teased.

"Then, you obviously don't know a lot about me." I smirked.

"Enlighten me." She smiled.

"I bet you don't know how much I like you." I said with a sudden burst of confidence as her eyes widened.

"You like me?" Kyra questioned in shock, I looked at her finally realising what I said.

"No." I gulped shyly.

Kyra chuckled before leaning in and her lips met mine. My eyes widened before I finally sunk into the kiss.

Kyra was the first to pull away, "I like you too." I didn't know what to say so instead I kissed her again completely unaware of Michael, Calum and Ashton cheering from a far...

———

(AN: I skipped through 2015 pretty fast but in all honesty I wanna get this story done lol. Also, the Lyra ship has finally set sail!!! Next chapter we're moving into 2016!)