Chapter 34 He Knows

Xavier's POV 

     Ryder wouldn't stop clawing at the barrier in my mind, demanding over and over again to be let out so that he could search for our mate. But if I even dared to shift right now I know that he would take over control and refuse to give it back to me until he was holding onto Addie. 

     And the absolute last thing that I needed right now was for him to take over and try and kill everyone that was trying to help.

     Ivy repeated everything that she just told me to my dad. Every single time she said Mr. Thomas' name I could feel my claws starting to push out from my fingers.

     How could I not have known about any of this before? I mean, he helped to raise me, I had sleepovers at his house, I've cried on his shoulder before, told him my deepest fears -- he was my grandpa! 

     But not anymore. 

     Anyone that threatened my mate was dead to me. Ryder growled his approval in my mind.

     No one dares to hurt our mate, he snarled. Family or not.

     "... and I feel sick to my stomach for never taking his threats seriously before, but he was a highly respected pack elder!" Ivy practically cried out. 

     She was slumped down in a chair in front of my dad's desk, her arms wrapped tightly around herself as she spoke. "I love Addie like a sister, and if I ever even thought that Mr. Thomas would hurt her in any way I would have spoken up sooner."

     Silent tears were now flowing down Ivy's cheeks.

     I need you to come up to the Alpha's office, I quickly mindlinked Grayson. 

     On my way, came his immediate response. 

     Less than a second later there was a knock on the office door and Grayson came in. 

     The second that he saw his mate's red-rimmed eyes and wet cheeks he was right beside her. 

     "What's wrong?" Grayson practically begged his mate, using a voice that I had never heard before. "Ivy, baby, please, please tell me what's wrong."

     "I'm going to go and gather Hunter, the other trackers, and the others," my dad said, standing up and sending a nod to me before walking out from behind his desk. 

     He stopped just beside Ivy and clapped a hand down on her shoulder. "It's not your fault, Ivy. It never was and it never will be. Our pack is beyond lucky that you'll be the next Beta female." And with that, he left. 

     "Can someone please tell me what in hell is happening right now before I lose it," Grayson asked out loud, looking more so to me than to his still-crying mate. 

     "Mr. Thomas," I spit his name out, it felt like acid in my mouth to even say his name out loud. "Took Addie. He's anit-human and believes that they shouldn't be allowed in Packs." 

     It took everything in me to say those words without letting Ryder out to go find him and rip him to shreds. 

  "Baby," Grayson cooed, cradling Ivy's face between his hands. "None of this is on you. You hear me? Absolutely none of it." He repeated softly over and over to her as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling Ivy to her feet and rocking them back and forth softly. 

     Feeling like I was definitely intruding on an intimate moment between Grayson and Ivy, I slowly backed out of the office and made my way back downstairs.