Chapter 27 'Tangled Truths'

Darkness enveloped me, clinging like a heavy fog as I slowly began to regain consciousness. My head throbbed, and my senses were muddled as I attempted to piece together my surroundings. The last thing I remembered was collapsing on the stage during the play.

     What happened?

     Blinking against the dim light, I realized I was in an unfamiliar place. Cold concrete walls closed in around me, and the room was completely bare, void of any warmth or comfort. Panic began to consume me as I struggled to sit up, my heart racing wildly in my chest.

     "Easy there," a deep voice murmured from somewhere in the shadows.

     My head snapped in the direction of the sound, and there he was: Andrew. He was standing a few feet away. His expression was a mix of concern and something I couldn't quite read.

     "What... What happened?" My voice was shaky as I spoke. I looked at him, confusion clouding my thoughts as I did so.

     Andrew sighed at my question, running a hand through his hair. "You collapsed during the play," he explained, his voice slight and gentle. "I couldn't just leave you there with them, so I brought you here."

     "Where is here?" I demanded, my fear beginning to fuse with frustration. "What did you do to me, Andrew?"

     "I didn't do anything bad, Addison," Andrew's tone of voice quickly turned hard and defensive.  I could see a faint flicker of hurt in his eyes. "I saved you. I saved you from those animals."

     I stared at him, trying to make sense of his words.

     The last memory I had was collapsing during that impromptu part of the play Andrew added last second. I could still recall the strange surge of energy that tan through me and the, no doubt, growl from Xavier that echoed through the whole theatre. "Why did you say that to me? About the moon goddess and the fates? Xavier said that to me once, what was it?"

     It was clear that Andrew knew the full truth about Xavier and his pack, there was no use in trying to deny it now. Especially considering that I was tied up in some random basement.

     Andrew hesitated, his gaze shifting away from mine and towards the bare basement walls. "I... I can't explain everything right now. It's complicated, Addie."

     "Complicated?" I echoed his words. "That's not an answer," I retorted, my frustration growing.

"Look, I know you have questions, and you deserve answers. You really do." Andrew said, his voice sincere. "But there are things you need to know about Xavier, his pack, and what they're truly capable of."

     I felt a chill run down my spine at the mention of Xavier and his packs' names. "What do you mean? What's Xavier's pack got to do with any of this? I thought that it was only Xavier and his friends that you had issues with?"

     Andrew took a deep breath, and slowly began gathering his thoughts. "Xavier's pack is much more than it seems, Addie. They're not just regular werewolves. In fact, they're far from that," he paused before continuing. "The Midnight Pack is full of nothing but darkness, death, and destruction. They're not the good guys, Addison. In fact, they're far from it."

     My mind raced, trying to process everything that Andrew was saying to me. "And what about you? What are you? The real good guys?"

     Andrew looked me dead in the eye, his gaze was heated and tense. "I the real good guy." He said firmly. "I'm part of a group that's dedicated to protecting people from supernatural threats."