Chapter 16 'One Step Behind'

After my promise to Andrew before English class this morning I've been practically shaking in my seat all day.

     It also doesn't help that Xavier is also clinging to my side. He was waiting outside of Mr. Hanson's classroom also to apologize.

     "I'll meet you inside," Andrew mumbled under his breath to me before side-stepping Ivy and Xavier and walking into the classroom.

     "I'm sorry," Xavier blurted out. "About this morning, and throwing your coffee out, and all of that."

     "And?" Ivy raised an eyebrow at her friend and tapped her foot impatiently.

     "And I'm sorry for being mean to Andrew," Xavier basically spits out. "Even if he did kind of deserve it."

     Ivy smacked him across the chest before shaking her head. "I can't do this anymore. You're helpless."

     "Uh. . ." I hesitated.

     "I really am sorry, Addison." Xavier's voice was much softer than before and even his eyes looked more pleading and sincere.

     "I just don't understand what you have against, Andrew," I sighed. "I mean, haven't you known him since you two were little?"

     It's something that I've been wondering about for a while now. I mean, I'm the new kid here, but Xavier and Andrew are treating each other like they just met. It makes no sense at all.

     "We run in different circles," he said lightly. "I mean, we've had friends in common throughout the years, but we've never really been friends ourselves."

     "That still doesn't answer my question about why you act like you hate him?" I said again. "I just really, really don't get it," I said adding extra emphasis to my words.

     "I guess that you could say Andrew is trying to take something that's mine," Xavier said vaguely. "And you may not have noticed, but I'm a little crazy about what's mine," he smirked a little at his own words.

     This just raised even more questions.

     Just then the bell rang and before either Xavier or I could say another word to each other Ivy stepped back out into the hallway.

     "Don't you have class?" She asked him.

     Xavier rolled his eyes at her but started to walk away nonetheless. But before he took more than three steps away, he quickly turned on his heels and placed a kiss on my cheek. "I'll see you at lunch, Princess."

     And then he was gone.

     "Time to get to class, Princess," Ivy teased me.

     "Like you can talk, Grayson's mother," I shot back at her. "That boy would be lost without you."

     "I guess you could say that," she snickered.

All of English, Bio and lunch seemed to pass in a blur. I wasn't even sure if I took proper notes down about everything.

It was only at the very end of history class that my mind seemed to catch up with everything that was happening.

"Miss Avery, would you mind staying behind for just a few moments?" Mr. Davis asked me at the very end of class once the final bell had rung.

"I'll meet you in gym class," I told Ivy and Audrey. "Just let the class teacher know that I'll be a little late."

Ivy and Audrey shared a quick look that I would have totally missed if I had even blinked. "We'll see you soon."