15: Recreation

You've been under a tight watch after that night. But you've been permissed to visit Eren today, so you set out to find your friends.

You know that Eren isn't feeling well, so you have a surprise for him.

While you were under strict probation, you have been having visits with Erwin. You've told him about the past. All of it. From poverty, to being orphaned, to being bullied, and even the man with the knife.

Erwin, believe it or not, makes a great therapist. Probably from all the people under his reign he's had to talk to before.

He's concluded that because of the way things happened in your childhood, you try to hold the world on your shoulders. You try to make sure everything is okay at your expense, even if you end up a casualty because of it. You don't put value to who you are or see yourself much as a person. And because of that, you don't express yourself or your feelings because you feel that they are insignificant.

You appreciate his help, but you don't know what the next step is.

What you do know is what you're going to do for Eren. When you started your sessions, Erwin suggested you do something to ease your mind. The first thing that came to your head was embroidery. Your mother was always amazing and taught you everything she knew. So he pulled a few strings, and brought you some too. As well as fabric scraps, needles, etc.

You finished it last night. A scene from Zhiganshina. The baker's hut just down by the well. You figured the last time he saw it probably isn't the way he wants to remember it.

You were going to keep it for yourself; find some way to hang it up in the office, but Eren probably needs it more.

You flock to Levi to show your work immediately.
You knock on his door.

"Hmm?"

"I've finished."

No response.

You knock on his door again, a little louder. He swings it open. You hold out the sheet of fabric.

"What do you think?"

"I think it's five in the morning."

He goes to shut the door, but you shove the picture in his face so that he has to look at it.

"And I think that you should appreciate your junior's work, you grumpy old man!"

He takes it from you.

"It's.....good."

"Just good?"

"I... yeah, good."

He shuts the door. You knock again. He passive aggressively reopens his door.

"I think you should take whatever broom handle you've been keeping out of your butt and give me a damn compliment."

"It's...good. You did great. Look, I'm tired. Leave me alone."

"Oh. Sorry."

His sullen eyes linger at you, and the door slowly closes. You feel bad. He's been extra tired recently, and you know it's because of the stunt you pulled the other day.

You know you'll have to make something to cheer him up too. Or at least do something to help. But that will have to wait for the current moment.

You leave the office and make your way down the hall, through the main corridors, and to the room Eren is currently recovering in.

When you open the door, it is by no surprise that he already has visitors. A mahogany vase of purple tulips bask in the sun at the edge of the window sill.