.15

"Aleks what do you mean?", I ask. My eyes are wide in disbelief as I look at the shaking Russian in front of me. There was no way blurryface was after me or Aleks, we'd done everything right. I'd done everything right at least I'd followed the rules since the first incident; this can't be happening.

"James, he already got Kevin, go run. You're innocent go! You can live!", Aleks pleads.

In that moment I see something in Aleks I never had before. It was ferocious yet so damn desperate as if it were his last dying wish, and maybe it was. He was pleading for me to leave him something I didn't want to do but couldn't reject, not when he's giving me that look. Taking a deep breath I look at Aleks one more time not liking the way he looked with an axe or his scraggly facial hair. It simply wasn't Aleks and definitely not the last image of Aleks I wanted to see. The lights begin to flicker and as our eyes meet I feel his urgency and nod.

"Goodbye Aleksandr.", I state softly.

Behind me I hear him whispering a reply of "goodbye James, it's been a hell of a ride" but don't stay to converse any longer. My legs carry me through the hallway of our office while tears pool in my eyes. Every fiber of my being burns as I rush down the stairs, gasping for air. Running had never been my friend. I make a mad dash for the exit as the lights flicker slightly before shutting down completely.

A scream pierces the air, and I can feel my blood run frigid in my veins. Aleks was dead, it's just me now. I don't stop at the door once I find it, instead I fling it open running toward my car stopping dead in my tracks as I see the image that had haunting me for what felt like an entirety now. An apparition dark in color rests against the door of my car preventing me from leaving. This was exactly what I'd hoped wouldn't happen.

This was it.

Nervousness takes the reins as I'm frozen in place unsure of what to do now that my only ideahad been eliminated. That was my escape route, my only plan and now it was gone leaving me defenseless and unprotected. I just had myself, and nothing else. I didn't have a car, Aleks, Jordan; nothing, I had nothing.

Running, I'm running in the opposite direction of it. It was the only thing I could think to do, and so now I'm going with it sprinting fast than I ever have before. My lungs burn desperate for air as my feet slam across the pavement with each stride, but it doesn't matter as long as I survive. I just had to survive for Aleks, for Kevin, for Jordan, Dan, Dex, Spencer, Seamus, I had to do it for them.

My feet fumble across the pavement as my thoughts take over sending me skidding to the ground in a pile. Blood oozes out of the scrapes on my hands that burn with each tiny movement, and I swear one of the knees ripped out of my jeans. Despite the urge to keep going I find myself locked in place; a feeble body cowering on the ground in fear of its end.

Laughter surrounds me as if it's pouring through the speakers in a surround sound. It's the same laughter that's followed me through every second of everyday reminding me of how slim my chances were. It's the same laugh that echoed through my head and tortured me when I was laying on the floor with a bullet lodged into my skin. The laughter is like thunder, loud and booming, but it's also deep and maniacal; it's the laugh of blurryface.

"You didn't really think you'd get away did you James?", blurryface asks smugly.

My arms move to shield my face as a first instinct, not wanting to look at it in anyway as that seemed to be a critical error for the others. Other than that my body shuts down not moving an inch as if that would help me out and I'd mold to the ground and be camouflaged. If only it worked that way.

I can't imagine how much of a fucking child I look like to blurryface right now with my eyes squeezed shut and hands over my face in fear. I'm a trembling in a pile on the ground hoping that he'll spare me. I'd laugh at me too.

Blurryface's touch is gentle and caressing as it prys my hands from my face allowing them to fall to my sides. I keep my eyes shut still not wanting to see it anymore. I didn't want to see what was going to cause my end. I'd rather not let that be my last image in the world. A exasperated sigh leaves it's lips as it hovers over me which makes me shudder in fear.

"James you're making this difficult, you really didn't think you'd live did you?", it muses.

Now it's playing a game of cat and mouse with me. I'm the mouse desperate for escape while blurryface, the cat, gets as much joy out of the me as it can before killing me. It's all a game but this mouse still has fight. Eyes still shut firmly I strike out, my hand meeting thin air but feeling as if it were surrounded by water mist. It's a weird feeling that makes my hand tingle, but I don't stop to reflect on it or even be sure it's okay. I'm jumping up and running away in the opposite direction it was praying I could do it. I let my eyes fly open only so I could see as I sprinted across the parking lot and heading for the field in the back hoping for cover maybe even safety of whoever lived behind it.

I never make it there though as Blurryface is already there leaning against the fence as if it's waiting for me. My stomach flops as I realize it's no longer the human like figure, it's grown exponentially in size now seeming three times bigger than me. There's no running now I'm trapped here with it towering over me. It could reach me in two steps no matter how fast I'm running, and I'm sure just a slight gust of breath would send me barreling over.

"Why?", my voice is feeble, vulnerable, and a number of other things as I speak, but it takes interest in this. Blurryface proceeds to shrink down a little just until it's about the same height. The figure takes a step forward, arms out openly.

"Because James you're lucky to have made it this far, it's finally time for your stubborn ass to go down with the rest.", the voice has shifted since it last spoke. Now it's a deep growl that sounds like something out of a scify movie filled with special effects, but it's still menacing enough to make me flinch.

"Why? I haven't done anything fucking wrong!"

"True, but don't you see James that was never the point. I wanted to be known by you and now I am. That's it, that's the endgame, and also your end. You allowed me to be like this."

I'm face to face with it, yet I can see right through the black mist. It's unsettling to say the least yet I stand there continuing to staring it down. Fear runs through my veins and I feel as if I could explode at this moment yet I take a deep breath. I try to speak but nothing comes out, I just look ridiculous with my mouth hanging open.

Slowly blurryface presses his index and middle fingers to my forehead. My jaw falls open further no longer wishing to speak, I'm in pure shock now. Part of me doesn't want to accept this as my fate. It wants to fight further, but the majority of my mind is saying it's time. I can't escape, and it's time.  Inhaling deeply I let it happen deciding maybe it would be easier this way. Maybe it'd be painless and I wouldn't have to suffer any longer. Closing my eyes tightly I let blurryface win because no matter how you look at it I can't win or escape, he'll always find me and it'll be endless suffering and chasing. An endless game of cat and mouse. It's better this way. I know it is because no matter how you look at it I'm a goner.

[game over]