Chapter 28: Courtiers at Court

(The tiniest little spoiler for Hazbin Hotel season 1 episode 5, that you've probably seen online already. Just about an obsession Lucifer has. If you don't want to read it, just skip the note from Lucifer part.)

The courtroom was silent as no one dared to speak. Reporters could be heard from outside, speculating about what was going on, but no one in the room spoke a word. Stella had wanted the courtroom full of onlookers, so that they, too, could witness the look on Stolas's face when he was sentenced to eternity imprisonment, if not worse. More importantly, so they could see her victorious, and praise her as she deserved. Andrealphus, however, had made sure that it would be a private affair. They had enough public affairs as it was, and it was always best to air on the side of caution. The only thing recording what was happening in the courtroom was a video camera, and that could be easily tampered with, so long as things didn't get too out of hand.

He had let the little imps and the hellhound girl from the IMP business, though. Even the Lord of Lust himself and his toy were sitting in the second row. He had invited them as witnesses. This had put them on edge, as they still hadn't quite put together what was exactly happening. Honestly, it was difficult being the only demon with an intellectual mind in all the nine rings, but it did come in handy for moments like this.

The judge was, of course, another Goetia; a pheasant man who looked to be in his mid 40s (human years). It was hard to find a judge that wasn't a Goetia, but it wouldn't have mattered much if it wasn't. Money was money no matter who you were. And if a Goetia actually had to get a job, even one that was respected like being a judge, it meant they weren't doing well. This particular judge had been given half his payment upfront, so he had better give Stolas a guilty verdict, else he'd have more than just a little money trouble to deal with.

"All rise for the honorable Judge Trent Wagstaff." A hellhound officer spoke and a loud snort was heard throughout the room.

All eyes turned on Blitz who was still sitting in his chair, hand over his mouth.

"Do you have something you'd like to say, Mr. . . .?" The judge began.

"Blitz. Just Blitz. The o is silent. And no, sir. Nothing comes to mind. My sincerey-est of apologies." He said, standing with everyone else and giving a perfect formal bow.

Stolas looked at Blitz, who had just a few minutes earlier been arguing with his lawyer until he had let them sit next to each other up front. This was the first time he had seen Blitz treat anyone with respect; let anyone hold authority over him. How had he learned that bow? He must have gone out of his way to learn it, just for this occasion.

Blitz felt eyes on him, so he looked up at Stolas and gave him a wink. Stolas felt his eyes well up with tears in gratitude. . . But now was not the time.

"Court is now in session. You may be seated." The hellhound officer said, and all sat.

"Good morning, everyone. As you heard, I am Justice Herman. Prosecution council, would you please introduce yourselves."

Andrealphus stood, dressed in a white business suit, that really wasn't his style but was more fitting for the occasion than his usual attire.

"Andrealphus ars Goetia, your honor. I will be representing the Pride ring in this case."

"Hang on!" Blitz stood and all eyes turned to him, "Since when were you a lawyer?!"

Andrealphus sneered at the interruption "Since I got my degree a few decades ago. I didn't really need it, of course, as I had no need to earn money," he gloated, "but I felt it was time that I do my civic duty in this case, so I came out of retirement."