Chapter 13: Set up

"I'm so f**king excited for this, Loony! Our first Daddy-Daughter date in ages and it's at a horse race! You're finally gonna see how sick they are and we can bond over being horse girls together!" Blitz was barely containing himself as he crossed 6 lanes of traffic on the freeway.

"Yeah, whatever. So, long as you give me the $50 at the end of this, like you said you would." Loona lazily scrolled through Sinstagram on her phone, used to all the jerkiness of Blitz's driving, "It is a little weird though. I'm not seeing anything about this event online. And wouldn't an event like this more likely take place in the wrath ring? Why would it be happening in Pride?"

"Now, Sweetie, it's not very nice to stereotype people like that. There are horse lovers all over hell. And so what if they don't have any social media accounts, a website, or even an email address? Youth nowadays clearly just doesn't understand the classiness of a good letter." Blitz swerved off the freeway.

". . . wait, what?" Loona said, suspiciously. She had assumed he had found out about this online and she just wasn't seeing it, or maybe a billboard or something. It wasn't uncommon for them to get horse related junkmail, though, so she shrugged it off.

Fewer and fewer cars were around as they got closer to their destination. Blitz threw the car into a parking spot, taking up 2 spaces. They got out of the van to see a big convention center building, totally abandoned of people. No other cars were in the parking lot, and no other people were around save for one guy in a hoodie by the front door.

"Wow, we're the first people here!" Blitz said as he marched towards the hooded figure with the biggest grin on his face.

"Shouldn't there be, I don't know, at least a sign about the horse race here? And the building looks like it's a hang out for local drug addicts. Half the windows are boarded up!" Loona was starting to get more and more unsettled by this whole thing.

"I'm sorry, I can't hear your pessimism over the sound of your soon to be equine related delight!" Blitz was happily in his own world.

"Two tickets, my fellow horse enthusiast." Blitz said, and began handing the hoodie guy a thick wad of cash.

Loona stopped him, by putting a hand on his shoulder, "Wait, Blitz. How much were the tickets?

"I will spare no expense for the opportunity to bond with my daughter over our soon to be mutual love of horses!" The guy accepted the cash, as Blitz placed his hands on his hips.

The hoodie guy's face was in shadow and their hands were in gloves, completely hiding themselves. They were counting the money in their hands, when they felt the glare of a tall hellhound piercing daggers into them, "Uhh- student tickets are half off?" came a gravelly voice as they handed back some of the bills.

Blitz, unaware of the glare from behind him, "Yep! She's a student. Totally a student in school, studying scholarly things at a totally real place. Have a nice day!"

Blitz grabbed Loona's hand and skittered inside, "Haha! We totally scammed that guuuuuyy . . . woah." Blitz stopped just beyond the threshold as both their mouths fell open, taking in the scene. Rose petals were scattered along the long walk way, muscular imp statues and giant flower pots lining the path. Pink chandeliers hung periodically from the ceiling, causing the room to be bathed in a fuschia light. All were pink save for the one in the center of the room which was three times the size of the others and sparkled silver. Beneath it was a round table, covered in an ornately laced tablecloth. A candelabra sat in the middle, and two cushion seats, their backs shaped like hearts, were across from each other.

"What ambiance! Come on Loony, let's take our seats!" Blitz happily began marching over to the table.

"Wait, isn't this, I don't know, weird for a horse race event. I've never been to one, but for one thing we're indoors, and there's only one table in the center of the room that looks like it's a tacky set up for an old married couple's date night." She followed behind him.