32 | ACCIO VICTORY

FOUR DAYS AFTER CLASSES RESUMED, Albus was reading the newspaper at breakfast when he nearly choked on his food. Both Tom Riddle Snr. and Morfin Gaunt were dead, the former from a gunshot wound to the heart and the latter from the Killing Curse.

The paper suggested that Riddle had mistaken Gaunt for a deer and fatally shot him during a hunting trip. In retaliation, Gaunt had used the Killing Curse on Riddle, dying shortly thereafter.

Looking up, Albus noticed Tom at the Slytherin table putting on a show of grief. Evelynn was by his side, consoling him. He could already see Dippet and everyone else falling for their act. Albus was certain Riddle was involved in the deaths, but he didn't yet understand why, how, or when it had happened.

There were no signs of any Compulsions on either body, and the two deaths occurred in broad daylight yesterday when classes were in session. He knew both individuals had attended all their classes; the school Wards confirmed it. They never left the castle - they were either in the library, the dungeons, or attending classes. They never even approached a window or exit leading to the school grounds. Their alibis were as solid as the castle itself.

Nonetheless, he suspected Tom Riddle Jr. was involved in his father and uncle's deaths. His next step would be to alert the Aurors and have them examine Tom's wand.

⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

Tom and Evelynn are securely hidden in their corner of the library, behind the Privacy Wards that Evelynn put up. If anyone inquires, they can simply say they're there to avoid disturbing anyone or being disturbed. Tom murmurs, "It actually happened..." His neglectful father and abusive uncle are gone. He believes it's for the best.

Evelynn smirks at Tom and teases, "Did you doubt me, Tom?"

"No!" Tom shakes his head and adds, "Even you didn't know what the Hex would do, Evelynn. It could have made my father change his heart or my uncle get imprisoned after all."

"It didn't though," Tom nods, and Evelynn quietly asks, "You alright?"

Tom nods again, taking the hand that was reaching for him and says, "Yes, I'm fine. Really. They needed to go, Evelynn. You said so yourself." He would've killed them both anyway – his father for abandoning him and his mother, and his uncle for treating his mother poorly. It's remarkable how a year ago, he saw his mother as weak. Realizing she was never given a chance to be strong, and that she gave up her life for him, changed his perspective. It drove him to seek vengeance for her as he does for Evelynn.

Evelynn nods again, interrupting his thoughts, and whispers, "Still...they were your relatives." She's uncertain how she would've reacted if the Dursleys had been killed. Relieved? Likely. Scared? Absolutely. Vernon had filled her head with terrifying tales about orphanages, and the 'Blood Wards' were supposedly her only safeguard against any remaining Death Eaters. It's uncertain where Dumbledore would have sent her afterwards.

Tom murmurs, "A family that didn't raise you is no family at all, Evelynn. Something I never really understood until recently." An older orphan had said that once, the day before leaving the orphanage for good. He didn't fully grasp it then, but he clung to the thought. He convinced himself that he didn't need a family, that he'd gotten this far alone and could continue doing so.

Then, unexpectedly, Evelynn came into his life - out of the black, so to speak. Despite her initial intentions, they grew close. His curiosity drew him to her, leading to their current situation. It was odd to think of her looking after him, and something was developing between them that neither had any experience with.