26 | FIGURINES

ORION, THEODORUS, WALBURGA, AND DOREA discreetly watch as Abraxas conjures more marbles for Tom and Evelynn. Orion suggests another round of their 'game', where the challenge is to transform the marbles while keeping their glass.

The last game's victor was Tom, and it's unclear what prize he asked from Evelynn or if he has even done so yet. As they grow older, their prizes have become more valuable. Evelynn determined not to lose again, taps her marble, and it turns into a figurine of a beautiful Snowy Owl with amber eyes. She carefully sets it aside, casting a few Charms to prevent it from breaking.

The game continues with Tom and Evelynn crafting various figurines from marbles: a Hippogriff, a miniature replica of Hogwarts, a large snake, a Thestral with a foal, a Phoenix, a grand piano with a pianist, and many more. Despite her embarrassment about her piano-playing skills, Evelynn creates a piano figurine, hinting at her own hidden talent.

Evelynn's figurines reveal a lot about her past, including the animals that represent her father and his two loyal best friends in their Animagus forms. This realization makes Tom worry about his ability to compete with her. After Evelynn crafts an Occamy curled around three silver eggs, Tom concedes, claiming he's out of ideas.

The unexpected defeat leaves the room in stunned silence. Evelynn's face slowly lights up as she realizes she has won. Tom, committed to being a 'gracious loser', asks what she wants as her prize. Evelynn decides to save her favour for later, taking the figurines of Hedwig and the three animals before leaving the room.

Tom picks up the piano figurine and observes it under the light. Orion suggests he could use his favour to ask Evelynn to play the piano. However, Tom shakes his head, deciding to save his favour for a more crucial request. He already has a way to ask her to play the piano, the figurine in his hand.

⋅˚₊‧ ୨୧ ‧₊˚ ⋅

Dorea finds Evelynn gazing at the owl figurine she made and asks, "Something wrong, Evelynn? You seem down."

Evelynn shakes her head and replies, "Just thinking about a friend."

Dorea raises an eyebrow and inquires, "While looking at a Snowy Owl?"

Evelynn shrugs and says, "She liked owls, especially Snowy ones, for some reason."

"And you miss her."

Evelynn nods and admits, "Yeah, I do."

After a moment, Dorea remarks, "Tom was looking for you, Evelynn. He had a question for you."

Evelynn sets the figurine down, rolls off her bed, and instructs, "Lead the way." Five minutes later, Dorea opens the door to an abandoned classroom deep in the dungeons. Tom is sitting on a desk, examining a glass grand piano figurine Evelynn had made.

Once Dorea leaves - her grin sparking a pit of dread in Evelynn's stomach - Evelynn asks, "You called? Dorea said you had a question?"

Tom looks up at her and asks, "There's something you didn't tell me?"

Evelynn scoffs and retorts, "Tom, I've told you everything interesting about me!" She dismisses Dorea's declaration from a snowball fight a week ago. What could he possibly think she hadn't told him? She feels she has shared all that matters.

Tom switches to Parseltongue and queries, "Oh, really?"

Evelynn crosses her arms and retorts, "I told you so much, you fainted from shock."

Tom feigns confusion and asks, "Why does the figure playing this piano look exactly like you?"

Evelynn exclaims, "What?! It's a miniature figurine! I made it less than an hour ago!" She wonders how he could have observed her so closely.