Chapter 7: Fight or Flight

Among the many things Hank managed to design and build for the Xavier estate, he had found the time to design and construct a fine private jet for their discrete travels. Never had the plane been used for such a dire purpose, but exceptions had to be made at a time like this if they were to get to Paris in time.

        They parked the car next to the private jet, the plane itself only recognizable as belonging to them with an 'X' embellished on the tail wing. Kat looked up at the jet, using her hand to cover the light of the setting sun from her eyes. She had never had such a proper look at the plane beyond their private bunker; it had only been used a couple times before things had taken a turn for the worst and they remained shut away behind the mansion walls.

        Logan was the first to head inside the jet after Hank lowered the steps, immediately followed by Erik. Peter didn't approach the plane, instead staying next to the car where he leaned against the hood with his arms crossed over his chest. His absence behind them made Kat turn around, followed by Charles and Hank. It was clear what had to be done, and he had done what he could with them

        "Peter," Charles began, offering a sincere yet determined look to the teenager, "thank you very, very much." He stepped forward and offered him his hand. "You take care."

        Peter didn't miss a beat as he took Charles's hand and shook it with a smile on his face. "Hey, so I saw your flight plan in the cockpit. Why are you guys going to Paris?"

        Charles glanced back towards Kat and Hank, surprised by the question.

        Kat smiled and shook her head. She admired how straightforward Peter was. "That is for us to know and for you to wonder for the rest of your life," she answered for Charles, handing the keys to Peter once he had let go of Charles's hand.

        "Do me a favor and return the car for me," Charles added at once.

        "Okay," Peter said, and before he could look too happy about driving, Charles spoke again.

        "And Peter?  Take it slow."

        All Peter did was smile, watching the three of them enter the jet before turning to get in the driver's seat.

        Hank managed to get them in the air smoothly with Charles at his side in the cockpit, door slid shut behind them. Logan sat in the back of the lounging area with a newspaper spread open on the table in front of him. Kat sat towards the middle of the plane directly across from Erik, who had his eyes fixed on one of the windows by her head. Kat tried to ignore his thoughts, choosing to focus on one of the books she had found tucked away in the back portion of the plane.

        Erik, however, had no problem voicing his mind to Logan—the only stranger in his midst. "So," Erik spoke, breaking the silence between the three of them, "where did they dig you up?" 

        Kat glanced up from her book as Logan looked up from his newspaper in an attempt to meet Erik's eyes, but the metal bender only stared out the window to her left. To her right, she watched as Logan sat up straighter in his seat before settling his arms on top of the table, resting on the newspaper. He was trying to choose his words carefully.

        "You're gonna find his hard to believe, but, uh . . . you sent me. You and Charles.  From the future."

        Erik finally broke his gaze out window and looked at Logan, his mind trying to wrap around the words he just heard.

        Kat closed her book to set it on the table opposite Logan. "He's telling the truth."

        "Was I asking you, Christiana?" Erik asked with an emotionless face as he looked directly at Kat.