Chapter 5: Quick Silver

A final decision was made once they managed to find where the boy was. It wasn't exactly easy to track down and find the address for the kid Logan kept going on about, but they did eventually find what they were looking for. Peter Maximoff—a teenager these days that Logan insisted was the fastest person alive in the tie he knew him. The name "Quicksilver" came to his mind, but Kat made no mention of it. She only wondered if his abilities had even manifested yet, as some mutants tended to develop their abilities later in life.

        Logan had decided that it was a better idea to use a different vehicle than to use the car he had arrived at the mansion with.  Apparently, the car didn't belonged to him. He didn't exactly want to talk about it, either, but Kat suspected it belonged to some gangster by the sleek look of it. It took all of a glance into his mind to discover how right she was.  

        It was far easier to get a rental car, they decided mutually. Kat took her place seat in the back of the car along after securing the chosen equipment they had brought along with them in the trunk. Hank sat across from her while Charles and Hank occupied the front. Charles had insisted on driving the car even after Kat kept insisting that it wasn't a good idea. After all, Charles's had not driven in years. He no longer had a driver's license as he was legally paralyzed from the waist down as far as the government knew. Or as far as anyone knew.

        Driving obviously didn't come naturally to Charles after so long of an absence from behind the wheel. Anyone could tell by how he continuously slammed on the breaks that he was far out of practice. Even after the few hours of driving and somehow managing not to collide with any other vehicles, he still hadn't exactly mastered it.  Kat found herself easily distracted from the almost constant jerking of the car, instead focusing on adjusting to the noise of the thoughts buzzing all around her.

        When they reached D.C. after nearly five hours of a drive, Kat began giving directions to the exact address while peering at the map she held unfolded in her lap.

        "Stop just at that house up there," Kat finally ordered, dropping the hand rubbing her temple to gesture at the exact place they needed to arrive. Charles gave a nod as he swerved to the side of the road. It seemed increasingly busy in D.C. with all the thoughts rushing around.

        "Yeah, all right, all right," Charles said as he pressed on the breaks just in time for them to come to a firm stop directly in front of the house. There was a mailbox with the name "Maximoff" on the side that indicated they were exactly where they were meant to be.

        "Next time I'm driving," Logan said as they all began to get out of the car. He looked over the hood to Charles. "Don't get used to it."

        The idea of Logan driving the car was a lot nicer than the idea of Charles driving again. Kat shook her head with a smile as she got out of the car. Her tail curled beneath her dress as she looked up at the place. It had been so long since she had been off the mansion's grounds that she had nearly forgotten the importance of hiding such features. Sighing to herself, she closed her car door and began to follow behind the other three.  

        The front door was mostly blurred, decorated glass with a black iron framing.  The establishment itself looked like a nice little home for the modern family, but Kat could only imagine what really went on behind closed doors if there was a mutant involved. That was an idea that still excited Kat, as she was definitely interested in meeting a new mutant.  

        Logan was at the door first, raising his first confidently to knock on the door, the three of them waiting for an answer on the small front porch. There was a flash of movement behind the door before they saw the figure of a woman with long auburn hair approaching the door. There was an obvious hesitation before she unlocked two chain locks and a bolt lock from the inside. Kat raised an eyebrow at that. Whoever the kid was, it seemed that they either wanted to hide him or keep him in. Or perhaps to keep others out.