Chapter 6: The Pentagon

Standing over 77 feet tall with 6,500,000 square feet and five sides measuring at nearly a mile each, the Pentagon remained the world's largest office building. With such intricate mappings to the five floors that stood above ground and those underneath, it was most important to recall possible escape routes. There were more than 7,754 windows, 131 stairways, 19 escalators, and 13 elevators that didn't include those of which that led to Erik's private prison of cement. Plenty of escape routes—not much of a chance to make it out without alerting security. Even with more than ten years of practice in telepathy, Kat didn't think she could take hold of all the minds in the most heavily guarded building on the planet. 

        Peter insisted on walking to the Pentagon, as his walking pace was far faster than the car could go, and he would meet them there. Kat had no objections, though she did take the liberty of driving instead of suffering through Charles and Logan bickering over how terrible of a driver Charles was. Needless to say, it was a quiet ride until they arrived to park the car where they'd agreed to meet Peter. He stood leaning against a light pole with a cheeky smile on his lips as the four of them got out of the car.

        "About time. I was about to go inside and just forget about you guys," he called to them as they got out of the car, not moving from his spot against the pole.

        "Wouldn't be wise to do so," Charles replied. He wore a suit, something to help him look more professional. Hank and Kat had changed to appear as normal tourists, though she doubted any of them would be recognized until it was too late.

        "Don't see how I couldn't just do it without you."  Peter shrugged. "Relay the plan. Wanna make sure I didn't miss anything."

        "You'll go in first," Kat began to explain. "You've seen the map; you know the way. Get yourself down to the elevator that leads below to Erik's cell through the lower level kitchens, and take out the guard that serves the food. Then you put his clothes on."

        Hank blinked in sudden confusion. "Wait, what about his body?"

        Peter stood nonchalantly from the light pole, stepping forward. "I've got it covered."

        "That he does." Kat smiled to herself, knowing what Peter had in mind. When Hank continued to look doubtful, Peter reached into his jacket and pulled out a roll of duct tape.

        Hank nodded. "Point taken."

        Kat adjusted the pins in her hair as she continued, "You'll need to break the bulletproof glass above his chambers with your hands. It should be bulletproof, but if you can quake the plate of it with your abilities, it will shatter it entirely. But since the glass sensors will be set off, by the time you get him out of the cell, there will already be guards on the way to you. All you have to do is get past them when the door opens before they can shoot their weapons—all made of plastic, but painful, nonetheless. By then, Hank should be able to corrupt the signal to the security monitors to another channel frequency, allowing Charles and Logan to locate and evacuate the kitchens once he sets off a fire alarm signal in the lower levels. They'll be waiting for you at the top of the prison's elevator shaft, where you first entered the elevator."

        "Sure, yeah, I get it."  Peter smiled as he met Ket's eyes. "So where will you be?"

        Charles stepped up, cutting in before Kat could speak. "She'll be with Hank. Just part of the tourist." He looked at her, challenging her to go against his word. "Isn't that right, Christiana?"

        Kat could feel her face heat at his words, though she kept a straight face. She couldn't let him read her, even without his powers. "Yes," she said, numbing to the promise that held nothing behind it. "I'll be with the tour group."