Chapter 21: The Future Realized

"Thousands of people will be gathered here today. They've come from all over the world to witness history, along with news crews from at least fifty different countries. . ."

        Cameras took in the scenery of the White House lawn where crowds of people flocked in almost a festival-like manner. At such an important event as this and due to the recent and rather public event between Raven and Erik, the security remained tight as ever.  

        Among those in line for the metal detectors on the lawn stood Kat, who led Logan and Hank while pushing Charles in his wheelchair before her. Tuning out the chatter around them as they slowly made their way towards the entrance of the set up stadium for the speech, Kat only tried to focus on the minds around them for hints of something familiar, both her and Charles on the lookout for Raven's thoughts behind any possible disguise.

        Once up to the metal detectors, the machine itself let out an annoying alarm in response to Charles's chair passing through. This, of course, caught the attention of the officers waiting on the other side. 

        "Can I see your invitations, please?" The one on the right requested, his posture straight and tone solid, clearly prideful of the badge he wore. While the officer on the left immediately went to wand Charles for any other metal, Kat smiled and reached out with her mind.

        "Why, you've already seen our invitations," she said, convincing him that he had, in fact, done just that. 

        At once, the officer stepped aside with a courteous nod. "Go ahead." 

        "Thank you." And just like that, they were given clearance, Hank and Logan tagging along right behind them. 

        The White House could be seen directly behind the backdrop of the stage, the whole setup on the president's front lawn. Aisles split four sections of chairs, the people gathering around and claiming their seats one by one, just as the many generals and fellow politicians on stage had already done. Yet on the stage backdrop, Kat could make out a distinct logo she had seen before, one she had come to know very well.

        Trask Industries.

        Her eyes cast downward from there to the men sitting on the stage, her eyes finding the the man himself. 

        Kat felt her very stomach turn and she almost turned in her tracks, tempted to turn her eyes down even though she was wearing a light scarf and sunglasses to keep her from possibly be recognized. 

        When they found a place on the lawn to stand behind Charles, Kat did look away from the stage, unable to stand even looking in the general direction of Trask. She could hear his searing thoughts mixed with those of his supporters, the very tainted views of society against her kind, their own kind. They wanted to rid society of the mutant 'problem' they believed only plagued it.

        But this was far, far more personal than any of them could ever

        Kat's mind stopped on account of a touch; Charles's hand found hers where her hand gripped the handle of his chair. His thumb stroked over the back of her hand, a soothing gesture to calm her from her thoughts. With his other hand, Charles brought two fingers to his temple, setting about on his mental search for Raven. Kat knew that if anyone could find her, it had to be him.

        After standing among nothing but chatter and patriotic music playing from the stage speakers for a number of minute, Charles finally shook his head and spoke aloud. "I haven't found her yet, but she has to be here."

        That was when the announcer's voice finally came over the speakers, calling out above the music: "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States!"

        The Presidential Tribute song played on even louder than the previous music, giving the go for more men to enter the stage, leading President Nixon to his podium in the very middle. He threw his hands up in his show of two peace-signs for the cameras and the people, then kept his palms up to have everyone quiet their applause and to be seated. Finally, he placed his hands on the podium before him, clearing his throat before he began to address his people.

        "My fellow Americans—today we face the gravest threat in our history: mutants. We have prepared for this threat. In the immortal words of Robert Oppenheimer. . . 'Behold! The world will never be the same again.'"

        With that he threw his right hand back in display of what was behind the stages flag-like backdrop, which fell at his words and revealed, with even louder music, eight great machines, all at least three times as tall as the men before them on the stage. They looked to be robots, but they were not to be mistaken as something so minor.

        Kat felt her knees go weak beneath her, and she took Charles's hand, squeezing. Face-to-face with the world's first Sentinels.

        All around them more and more men began to stand, saluting to their national anthem whether they wore uniforms or none. The crowd cheered on and on, but Kat could only hear them cheering for destruction, for the death of so many.

        Kat felt Charles squeeze her hand back, but the four of them knew what was to come.

        The future was already happening.