Training

Annabeth had brought over a copy of the rules from Malcolm. I made sure Annabeth had slept and the first nightmares had passed before I sat down to read. The rules were written in Ancient Greek, thankfully, and I tried to think up how to train the next day. 

I knew how to throw a javelin, though I would need to learn the stance for discus throw. The rules for these two were simple. The farther it got, the better. I gave up archery, since 1) only Thalia was patient enough to teach me and she was gone and 2) as Chiron had said, 'disaster and Percy's archery go hand in hand'. I would just have to wing it. 

Though I was quite fast, I would need practice for the stade. I would start doing 200 yard laps tomorrow. If I practiced, I would pull through. The last were wrestling and boxing. I was unsure about these, since technique and strength both were required. Meaning I would have to work at least the basics. I had a bit experience in wrestling, and I did use a punching bag now and then to vent out. I could go to the local gym in Manhattan and ask for assistance. 

I decided I would leave tomorrow morning to train in the city. I could stay at my house, and I would have the full day to myself. 

****************************

I decided to leave early morning, since my nightmares wouldn't let me sleep. So as I lugged a duffel bag over Half Blood Hill, I saw a familiar figure standing near Peleus. Triton was looking like any other surfer dude, holding a surfing board under his left arm. His skin was tanned, and he had legs instead of the twin fish tails. I thought of making a Little Mermaid joke, but pushed it down.

He was wearing just his blue swimming shorts. Earlier, I wouldn't have been pleased to see him, but we had grown to like each other; he had a grudging admiration for my feats, while I sympathised with him for being the 'son of Poseidon'. He smirked, and I did too. He immediately turned serious. 

"Percy", he said. "My father has been noticing the events at your camp. He also knows that someone is helping Jason train" That hit me like a punch to the gut. I had assumed Jason was as puzzled as me. So much for 'working out'. 

Triton continued, "Yes, and the god helping him is quite experienced. My father would have trained you himself, but the Ancient Laws are binding him. Thus, I am here. I would help in training you, though my knowledge is not too extensive, we wouldn't leave you in the hands of mortal coaches. You have made arrangements to leave?" I nodded. "Well, we shall be training near father's palace"

*********************

When I reached Poseidon's palace, I saw an air bubble a bit to the side. Triton swerved towards this new construction and I followed. Inside it was equipment for training me. 

Triton turned to me. "You are at a huge disadvantage, Percy. The sports and rules have been selected by that kid. And he would have two more days of training than you. Our only hope is that his trainer is not as good as we have been told"

I nodded. Triton smiled. and started teaching me of the basics. I understood the meaning of the air bubble immediately as I started training. Air wouldn't bend as easily as water when I was running a lap. I fought with my normal strength in the combat sports, and the duscus, javelin and arrow (Triton made me practice archery. After the first three shots, he erected a wall of water around himself) had to deal with air resistance before finding their marks. 

I stayed for three days under the sea. I couldn't go into the palace, since dad was still storming, but I could stay in the antechamber, which was a bit larger than my mom's apartment. 

At the end of the third day, I shot out of the water onto the beach, walking towards the arena.