Annabeth's Warning

At night, Annabeth came to my cabin to sleep. We slept in the same bed, since my presence reassured her and kept the nightmares at bay. Most of her nightmares included the memory of when they had met the arai and Annabeth had taken up the curse of Calypso. Those were quite non-existent when she slept with me. I could soothe her back to sleep during the others. 

I received nightmares too, but I didn't wake up screaming. Thank gods nobody knew. I had to be strong for my friends and my Wise Girl. Annabeth walked in, and she was looking strangely alert. 

"Percy", she said. I immediately focused my attention on her, since she usually greets me with a "seaweed brain" or a kiss. 

"You know how Jason is organising the games?' 

I nodded.

"Don't you find it strange that you and Jason are the only ones participating?"

I pretended to be oblivious, and looked around the cabin. I had learned a long time ago that more information could be gleaned from most people by being oblivious rather than acting smart. 

Annabeth muttered something about 'boys' and continued to explain, "Percy, I have noticed Jason looking angrily at you. Piper and I can't seem to talk normally, and Piper looks a bit pitifully at me sometimes. Leo's been avoiding me too. You can't deny there is something going on between those three."

Oh, Piper is pitiful about Annabeth? Hmm. I pretended to think along Annabeth's line of thought for the first time. Then, I smiled and said, "Wise Girl, they're our friends. After all we've been through, I don't think a little incident would separate us"

Annabeth caught onto my words. "What incident?"

I sighed. I had said too much. Still, I recounted the incident to her. Her brow creased in thought, thinking up possibilities and rejecting them. Her beautiful grey eyes almost seemed to have a storm within them when she was thinking hard. 

Finally, she said slowly. "Jason wouldn't hate you for a single incident, though you did wound his pride. It could be pent up emotion. But there is something strange about this. Chiron and Mr. D gone, a "Big Three trial Olympics" while only you two are here. What if he is planning to hurt you? Or your reputation? I mean, your popularity has seen better times"

I sighed again, rubbing the bridge of my nose. The new campers, and most of the old ones had begun questioning why Chiron wasn't strict with me, because I neither asked the campers about their needs, nor did I offer much help to the Camp. But Jason... no, he wouldn't do something like that. 

I decided to counter one of her points. "Annabeth, though Chiron and Mr. D are gone, Jason did tell me Zeus has to approve the game before it startes, and watches it from Olympus before coming down to reward the victor. If a god approves the competition, could anything go wrong?"

"Yes, if said god is in conflict with your dad", Annabeth retorted. "Look, P-"

She was stopped as I pulled her into a kiss. When we parted, she was gasping for air. 

She muttered "Seaweed Brain" before returning the kiss, and before we knew it, we were making out on the bed, Annabeth's worries forgotten.