The Plan

I started. I had not expected this from my father. Yes, from Ares perhaps. I knew Ares hated Percy, and perhaps he had good reason to. But I didn't know my father would agree with him. 

As if reading my thoughts, my father nodded. "Yes, I approve of your plan to banish Perseus in an embarrassing way. Plus, by beating him in the games, you may be able to end the dispute, being my representative, without offending his father."

Oh, so this is about the dispute. Zeus clearly didn't want to be the one to ask for forgiveness. Hence, a contest between their sons could be seen as a contest between the gods. 

Ares decided to question me. "Have you thought of any sports, kid?"

"Yes, Lord Ares", I answered, kneeling down to pick up my notes. "I thought of discus throw, javelin throw, stade, wrestling, archery and boxing"

Ares nodded approvingly. "All of them are fine sports. You have chosen well"

"I cannot express my gratitude my lords", I bow to them. "Archery is not a concern; Percy can barely hold a bow. But I must say, wouldn't Poseidon rush to help his son too?"

"No, son", my father answered. "Poseidon is consumed by his rage. Besides, it is my domain which surrounds you, and for all his foolhardiness, he is not a hypocrite. Besides, he would see these as a friendly competition."

"I figured that I may be able to use my powers in a few of the sports"

It was Ares who spoke now. "As much as I like your lust for victory, our daddy here wouldn't agree to that"

Zeus nodded. "The games are sacred to me, son. Even in ancient times, demigods participating had to swear an oath at my temple to not intentionally use their powers."

I was crestfallen, but asked. "You said 'intentionally', father"

His father waved his hand dismissively. "Powerful demigods tend to use their powers unknowingly. Such a slip of power is rare, and very weak, so it is neglected. It doesn't help the demigod much. But know that an oath to me is almost as binding as an oath to the Styx"

I nodded my head morosely. Ares just laughed, "Don't worry, brother. We will help you beat that punk"

I was puzzled. "But how?"

Ares grinned predatorially. He sure was happy today. "We discovered a loophole in the Ancient Laws, meaning we can interfere in the lives of demigods. This loophole is only known to us two. Zeus can slow Jackson's progress in discus, javelin and perhaps the stade too, though I think you are physically superior to him there. Zeus can help in giving him a crushing defeat though. I will train you in wrestling and boxing, where, as opposed to Jackson, even two nights of training will do wonders. And, as for my last gift."

He muttered something in Ancient Greek and suddenly I felt more aware. I had grown taller by an inch and looking down, I saw my frame was even buffer. I felt a lust for violence, greater than the one I had been feeling in Ares' presence. It was like Frank's growth spurt, but on an inconspicuous scale.

"You have my blessing now. You are stronger, and you would be able to pick out fighting styles and learn more quickly." Ares declared. 

I knelt. "Thank you, Lord Ares."

"I am required to bless you both on the day of the games, though it would not be as dynamic as Ares' blessing here. And since it is equal for you both, the competition would not really be affected", Zeus informed him. "Also, before you start, I will throw in the offer of the General of Camp for the winner"

"Wouldn't the campers argue for a proper vote?", I asked.

"It comes down to you, Perseus and Annabeth. The son of Hades stays hardly a month before going off to Camp Jupiter or the Underworld. Thalia is a huntress. That leaves you and Perseus as the most powerful. As for Annabeth, she is the most experienced, though she doesn't want the role. I conferred with Athena and she agreed that her daughter would refuse the position."

I nodded, thinking. "How would I be able to organise the event?"

"We will help you. Just convince Jackson to participate, and Zeus will conjure up the track and whatnot in the arena. We start training tomorrow night", Ares replied. 

I knelt again. "Thank you, my lords"

Ares and Zeus flashed out, and Jason lay down to sleep.