Eight

*Talia's POV*

We laugh as Tech beats Wrecker in Dejarik for the fourth time tonight. Energy is high throughout the group, this mission feeling more like a vacation.

Wrecker gives up his seat, Hunter taking it. The two boys watch each other from across the game, determination on both of their faces. "Your move first," Tech states, watching Hunter like a hawk. I watch intently as the room falls silent, watching the game play out.

The pair stays head to head, nobody gaining a real lead. Tension is high as they reach the end, and I swear I see Tech sweating. Tech plays his move, visibly sighing, "I win, you are stuck," he says matter of factly. Hunter studies the board, sighing in defeat as his last character is taken out. Echo jumps up cheering, holding his hand out to Crosshair, who drops some credits in it.

I head to the refresher, glancing out the window on the way back. The streets are full of life, shops and cantinas lit up, music drifting from the buildings. "Wanna play, Tiny?" Hunter calls over, pulling my eyes from the window. "I'm okay," I decline, not even sure how to play.

"What do you see down there?" Echo asks, walking over to the window to take a peek. "It's quite busy out there," he says a moment later. "Seems fun.." I trail off, glancing towards Hunter as if asking permission for an unspoken question.

He sighs, avoiding said unspoken question. "Well, we won't be seeing any suspicious activity from up here," Echo joins in, helping my case. Hunter sighs again, louder this time. "You could stay here," I suggest, and he rolls his eyes.

"Fine, we can go," he gives in. I smile with excitement, telling Echo I'm going to change. I throw on my civilian clothing, exiting the room to spot the others still in armor. "You guys are going like that?" I question, raising my eyebrows.

They glance around each other and I wave off the question, "never mind, let's go before you change your mind," I joke. We head down the elevator, me and Echo leading the way across the road. The music gets louder as we approach, and I spot the band off to the side as we enter. The place is full, but not over crowded. I follow as they lead the way to the bar, Hunter ordering a water.

I roll my eyes, ordering a juice, then glance around the room. The room is mostly Anzati, with a few other species as well. I thank the bartender as I get my beverage, turning back to the majority of the place. Colored lights fill the room, people dancing and socializing.

"You alright, kid?" Wrecker asks from beside me, leaning towards me. I nod quickly, "I've never been to a place like this," I reply. He laughs, "it's not a common thing for us, but Coruscant has a clone bar that I hear is good," he says, talking loud to be heard over the music.

"Really? I didn't know that," I reply with a little laugh. The band starts a new song, and I'm intrigued on watching them play. After a little bit of conversation and watching the band, Wrecker gets up, stating he's going to the refresher. I turn back towards the bar, ordering another juice.

The seat beside my squeaks as it turns, and I move to greet Wrecker. As I turn, I come face to face with a Zabrak. "Hello," he greets kindly. His skin is a pale yellow, the small horns showing atop his head. "Hi, sorry that seat is taken," I tell him nicely.

"Oh that's alright, I actually came to see if you wanted to dance?" He says smoothly, sounding confident in his actions. I, however, am caught completely off guard. "Oh, um," I stall, catching Hunter's eye over his shoulder.

He holds out his hand, drawing my gaze down. I glance back up, a small smile gracing his lips. "I'm honored, but I'm actually here with them," I say shyly, pointing the rest of the batch behind him.

He turns to glance at them, Hunter giving a little nod. Wrecker comes back at this point, standing protectively behind me. The Zabrak maintains his smile, glancing back towards me. "No worries, maybe a different night," then heads back into the crowd.

Conversation picks back up as we relax, until we head back to our quarters a couple hours later. I sigh tiredly as we enter the space, telling the boys goodnight before heading to my room.

I hand comb my long hair, changing into some soft, baggy pants I picked up a while ago. I crawl into the fluffy bed, and browse my holopad, before turning in for the night.

"FS-0004, age 10, female," Nala Se's voice rings over the speaker as they stare down at me from their protected box. Momma is up there with them, watching. I feel myself starting to sweat, knowing what is to come.

The heavy, metal rod in my hands sways as I lift it, my body trembling. I try not to cry, not to beg to be let out. "You may begin," the voice speaks again, a small beam of light shooting towards me.

I flinch as it hits my arm, stinging. Another comes, hitting another spot of sensitive skin. I swing the rod towards the small beams of light, missing every time. The beams pick up pace, zapping me over and over.

Tears are falling now, making it harder to see. "I can't!" I scream, flinching as another hits me. I curl into a ball, back angled towards the shots, trying to save the rest of my self. "Stop!" I plead, voice cracking, muffled under my arms.

"Talia!" I snap up, eyes frantically searching the room. "Get away from me!" I shriek, shoving the dark figure away. I cower back on the bed, pushing myself against the wall. The light from the open door is seeping into the room, the figure moved a few paces back with their hands up.

As my eyes adjust, I see the figure is Hunter, a bit of panic in his eyes. My face is wet and tear stained, nose stuffy from crying. "Hunter..?" I whisper, barely audiable. His features soften a bit as he studies me, and I start to feel pathetic under his gaze.

"Are you okay? Should I get Tech?" He speaks, voice quiet and unsure. I shake my head softly, wiping my cheeks. "Are you sure? He could get you checked out.." he trails off, and I shake my head again. "I'm okay," I reply, voice shaking despite trying to sound confident.

He takes a small step forward, "do you want to talk about it?" I shake my head again, and he gives a little nod in understanding. "You remember my name," I joke, trying to lighten to mood. He huffs in response, "of course I do, Tiny." I smile a little at his response, as he sits himself on the edge of the bed, moving slowly like I'm about to break.

"I'm okay, really. It was just a bad dream," I tell him, convincing the both of us of that statement. "Us clones have nightmares too, Tech says it's a side effect that we all experience," he tells me, glancing towards me.

I fiddle with the blanket, staring down at my hands. "I've never had them before... but recently, I've had a lot." I glance up to meet his gaze. "They are all of my past, memories I didn't know existed until now.." I trail off, unsure how else to describe it.

"Your memories.. Tech believes they were, altered." He starts softly. I stare at him, waiting for him to continue. "Your file on Kamino stated that you and your mother went missing at the same time, along with an injection from the lab. I don't know the science behind it all, just what Tech explained."

I stare at him a moment more, trying to process his words. "She wouldn't.." His eyes shift to sympathy as he watches me. I take a deep breath as I pull my knees to my chest, trying not to cry once more.

"We should have told you," he states, guilt lacing his voice. "It doesn't change anything," I state, looking back up towards him. He nods in response, silence falling over us, brown eyes burning into my green ones.

He clears his throat, breaking the silence as he stands. "Are you gonna be okay by yourself?" He questions, turning back towards me. I smile softly and nod.

"Get me if you need me," he instructs, before slowly pulling the door shut behind him. Darkness engulfs the room once more, and I'm left alone. I slide back under the blankets, staring into the darkness as I replay the dream in my mind. I manage to drift back to sleep, grateful the dream doesn't return.

Hope y'all are enjoying so far!!