9. Wen Yuan

As soon as Wei Wuxian heard the child's voice, he smiled and took him from Wen Qing's arms into his own hugging him close trying to put him back to sleep. "A-Yuan, I am here, go back to sleep and when you wake up again we can have lots of fun." But his words fell on deaf ears, as A-Yuan's attention was already on someone else.

All sleep disappeared from his grey eyes that twinkled when he noticed Lan Wangji standing at a little distance. He made grabby hands at Lan Wangji and was ready to jump out of Wei Wuxian's arms at any moment. If not for Hanguang-Jun's quick reflexes, the child would have fallen face-first on the ground. "Rich Brother!", he exclaimed, "Xian gege said you won't come back, I thought I'd never see you again." Lan Wnagji's eyes lightened a bit on hearing the cheerful voice and he gave an almost unnoticeable smile.

To say that Lan Qiren was shocked would be an understatement, his younger nephew absolutely hated physical contact and here he was carrying and hugging a child, he even smiled at him, something in his heart stirred at the sight of this little boy's innocent smile that had yet to understand the cruelty of the world. He understood why Wangji was so comfortable holding him, because this boy did not mind his cold face, this child was unbiased and did not know what Wangji's inheritance was, what rules he followed, who his parents were or where he belonged. This child did not judge.

"Rich Brother, it's cold.", Wangji's brows furrowed a little. As if on cue, Lan Xichen spoke to Baixue again, "Uh, young lady, can you...maybe...make it stop...snowing and let these people free lest they freeze to death?"

Baixue looked straight into his eyes and to his surprise, the very next moment, the snow was gone and all Jin disciples were free. Lan Xichen wanted to jump in happiness but instead just smiled.

"There are two rich brothers.", A-Yuan gasped, his big grey eyes widened in confusion. Wei Wuxian laughed a little at his reaction, "A-Yuan that's Rich Brother's older brother, you can call him Zewu-Jun."

"Zuwun", A-Yuan said, still confused. Lan Xichen smiled, "It's alright, you can just call me Older Rich Brother." This made A-Yuan smile even more.

"Why are you humoring him? Isn't he just a Wen brat? He should be killed.", the moment these words left Jin Zixun's mouth,  Wei Wuxian was in front of him holding Chen Qing tight, his eyes red with anger, "Say that again and I'll let you see what I can really do."

Even Lan Wangji's face showed clear signs of anger and frustration. Lan Xichen took A-Yuan from Wangji and spoke in a baritone voice, "Young master, I would mind my words if I were you. Threatening a child's life openly, one under the protection of Young Master Wei at that, do you have no love left for your life? Say that once again and I will make sure that whatever happens next, the word of it does not spread."

Jin Zixun's eyes widened in fear but he didn't back down and continued, "But he's a Wen, what if he wants revenge for his clan when he grows up? I say eliminate the root right now and we shall all live peacefully."

Wen Qing was about to say something when suddenly someone else spoke. "HE'S A CHILD.", it was Lan Wangji this time. "No matter what surname he carries, A-Yuan is still a child and I shall not let anyone harm him."

Everyone was surprised, no one had ever heard the Second Young Master Lan speaking so much at a time, he usually spoke in monosyllables. And he sounded pissed. Most people gulped.

Wen Qing didn't have the energy to be surprised though, she was only relieved that at least one of the clans was ready to protect Wen Yuan. Even if all of the Wens died today, atleast the child would be safe.

"He should at least be imprisoned and not allowed to practice cultivation.", this voice belonged to Jin Guangshan. Wei Wuxian fumed, "Is everyone going to test my patience today?"

Lan Wangji put his hand on Wei Ying's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down, his own mind full of rage, he wanted to slit throats and spill blood so bad, but restrained himself. He also noticed that Wei  Ying had also calmed down a notch, and was staring into the distance.

Lan Qiren had never seen Wei Wuxian so angry, even when he had barged into the Jin's banquet, demanding to know Wen Ning's whereabouts and threatened to kill Jin Zixun, Lan Qiren knew that he wasn't actually planning on shedding blood that day but this young man in front of him, meant every word he said. He would not hesitate to kill if anybody lay a finger on this child. Even his own nephews were in tow with him. Lan Qiren sighed, he realised that even he wouldn't let anyone harm this child. The innocent smile and those shining eyes, how could someone even think of killing this cute fluff.

"Wei Wuxian", Lan Qiren said, "Come to Cloud Recesses with us."