5. Baixue

Lan Wangji did not like the look on Wei Ying's face when this unknown girl touched him, all he wanted to do was protect his friend from a breach of personal space. But before he could even unseath Bichen a very similar sword had landed on his neck.

To his surprise, one look from Wei Ying and the sword was gone, like it was never even there, but Wangji could clearly see where the sword went. To an untrained eye it would have looked like, it had disappeared.

Lan Wangji couldn't help the bitter emotion that arose in the pit of his stomach after seeing how Wei Ying didn't even have to say anything for the young lady to get the clear instruction of backing down. Did his friend know who she was? Were they so familiar with each other that no words needed to be exchanged?

In his internal meltdown, he didn't realise that he had wondered out aloud, "Does Wei Ying know this young lady?"

Wei Wuxian turned around to look at Lan Zhan with a confused face, why would Lan Zhan think he would hide it if he knew this girl. Wei Wuxian felt scandalized, he could bear losing everything he owned but Lan Zhan's trust wasn't one of them. He wanted to throw a tantrum and scream at Lan Zhan for thinking that if he knew this girl, her sword would ever have been pointed at his friend. But all that came out of his mouth was a small whisper, "Lan Zhan."

To others it would seem like Wei Wuxian had not answered Lan Wangji's question but to Lan Wangji, it was an accusation and a clear No for an answer, he felt awful when he realized that he had hurt Wei Ying, but all he could do now was acknowledge his fault and apologize. So that's what he did.

"Mn.", as soon as this small sound left his throat, Wei Ying's expression returned to his usual mischievous smile. To others this little response from Hanguang Jun might have sounded like an acknowledgement to his name being called but to his relief Wei Wuxian clearly understood the apology behind this little mn and started speaking in his cheerful voice, "I have never met her before but Lan Zhan, look at her, doesn't she look like me, do you think we are somehow related? You say, if I was a girl, would I look like her? Aren't her eyes pretty Lan Zhan, cold and distant just like yours. Never mind, yours are prettier just like golden lava."

Wei Ying had always been a chatterbox who wouldn't shut up once he started, Lan Wangji's ears had turned redder than tomatoes hearing Wei Ying go on about how he had pretty eyes and what not. But Wei Ying didn't really notice because his attention had already been diverted to the problem at hand.

Once Wei Wuxian was done ranting about how the girl was pretty but not as pretty as Lan Zhan, he turned to look at the young lady and questioned once again, "What's your name little lady?"

This time she didn't move, but looked straight into his eyes and answered him in a louder yet softer voice still devoid of any emotion," Baixue, Bai for white, Xue for snow."