8. Lans' Musings

Lan xichen was still going in and out of his mental paralysis when he felt his Uncle shove something into his hands, a scroll, wait what?

Since this was how they worked back home, he would open and read letters for his Uncle and then they would have a discussion, Lan Xichen was about to open the scroll but stopped when he heard his Uncle, "What do you think you are doing?"

What was he doing? Oh right, the scroll. But what was with all this what was he doing stuff? Wasn't he supposed to open it? Then why had his uncle handed it to him. "Focus when you are among people, staring at a young lady in open daylight, is this how I've raised you? Keep it, we'll read it when we are back home." Lan Xichen felt wronged, the instructions had not been clear to start with, if something was handed to him, of course he would open it, if Uncle didn't want that, he should have said so from the start. Had he?

Although Lan Qiren wasn't very loud, when he reprimanded him, Lan Xichen could tell that Wangji and Young Master Wei had clearly heard him because one was full-out giggling and he was sure he heard a little huff coming from his brother.

Being amused at his expense! This pair! Was it retribution for all the times he had internally laughed at his flustered brother and Wei Wuxian's antics. Wait! Why did he compare himself to them? Those two were totally in love, just were too dumb to realize it. Himself, on the other hand, just found this young lady extremely beautiful. He was just appreciating beauty. He wasn't in love. Was he? Absolutely not, only appreciating beauty, pure thoughts. What was so wrong about it? Why did Uncle have to embarrass him like this. He wanted to sulk and pout but his sect forbids showing extreme emotion and he is the sect leader who must abide by all the rules. So he did what a respected Sect Leader should do, he put the scroll in his sleeves, cleared his throat, looked at Wangji and his companion, and said, "What are you so happy about? Did someone finally confess their love?"

That did the trick and the ball was in his court again, Lan Wangji's ears and Wei Wuxian's cheeks were flushed red, and they refused to look at each other anymore. Well, guess who was amused now?

Even Lan Qiren internally smiled at this light-hearted exchange, but his face still upheld its usual frown, he was the grandmaster of a reputed clan after all.

Maybe Wei Wuxian was not all that bad and he could allow his younger nephew to be with this boy. At least Wangji wasn't in love with someone too young like his older brother. If Wei Wuxian agreed to give up his unorthodox cultivation and return to the right path, stay in Cloud Recesses and follow all their rules, Lan Qiren wouldn't object to them being together. Or maybe just the first bit, he shouldn't be greedy and ask for much, right. Just returning to the broad avenue would be enough.

What caught everyone's attention and brought them out of their own thoughts was the unexpected sound of a child's sleepy voice, "Xian gege."