Chapter 10

Liam, Hannah, Adilynn, Alexander, Henry, Elodie, and Henry all sat down to breakfast. A few minutes later, Elmira came down.

 "Sorry I was late.." she said softly, still thinking about Jayce.

 "It's alright, Elmira. Go ahead and eat." Hannah smiled at her.

 "Don't worry. I chose a seat near the phone in case we get food poisoning." Adilynn spoke up.

 "Adilynn." Hannah looked at her daughter.

 "Yes mom..." the girl looked down at her food. Her family chuckled and began to eat. It was actually pretty good, to Adilynn's surprise.

 "This is really good!" Alexander declared, smiling.

 "I think it might be better than what I make." Hannah chuckled. "Perhaps because I made them with Jayce with love."

 "Love makes everything taste better." Henry replied, glancing at Elmira, who just gave a small smile.

 "It does indeed." Liam nodded in agreement.

 By the time they finished eating, the smell of a cake wafted into the dining room. They frowned, a little confused.

 "That's strange...I'll be right back." Hannah said, getting up. She walked into the kitchen, to find Jayce huddled into a ball in a corner and another cake in the oven. She walked over and knelt down beside her son. "Jayce, what's wrong, son?"

 "Nothing." came his muffled reply.

 "You just made a whole new cake and you are huddled in a ball in this corner of the kitchen. Don't tell me nothing is wrong." Hannah told him in a firm but gentle voice. "Look at me, Jayce.."

 Slowly, Jayce looked at her. She frowned at her son's tear-streaked face. She took him in her embrace and let him just cry on her shoulder. "I'm sorry, mom...I just needed to let off some steam...I thought I could do it by cooking..."

 "It's ok, dear....It's ok..." the boy's mother whispered soothingly. "Besides, I'm sure your cake will taste fine. I did show you how to make the first one, so how bad can it be?"

 The two laughed a little, Jayce sat up and wiped his eyes. "Thanks..." he said quietly.

 "Of course, my boy...Now, what's bothering you?" 

 Jayce sighed, shaking his head. "Elmira hates me..."

 Hannah stared at him. "What?? What makes you think that??"

 "Come on, mom! She didn't even come down when I was out there! She was avoiding me like the plague! She doesn't want to see me...." Jayce declared. Hannah frowned, but didn't say anything. "Why can't I be more like Uncle Jake...? Or dad...? Or Cousin Ian...? I hate being me....The cold, intimidating, fierce dragon boy nobody likes..."

 "There are plenty of people who like you, Jayce!" Hannah declared.

 "Like who?" Jayce mumbled.

 "Me, your father, your siblings, your cousins-"

 "Besides my family, mom." Hannah froze a moment, trying to think of an answer to her son's question. "Exactly. I don't have any friends other than my family. And even then, you know the only friend I have is my dragon. I know everyone would be lying if they said they didn't feel a little nervous around me."

 "And what about me?" Hannah asked in a quiet, serious tone. Jayce didn't reply. He just looked down. "You are my son. Adopted or not, you are my baby boy. You always will be, Jayce, no matter how old you get. No matter what you do. I am proud of you and I love you. I've never been nervous or scared around you. And I never will be."

 Jayce shook his head, looking away from her. "Your my mom. You have to say that." the boy mumbled.

 "I don't have to say any such thing, Jayce. Now look at me, son." Jayce slowly turned his head to look at her. "Have I ever lied to you?"

 "No..."

 "Exactly. And I don't plan on starting anytime soon. I will never be scared of you. Neither will your father, your sister, and your brother."

 "My brother is a human who doesn't think he can be Alpha. You really think he doesn't feel the slightest bit scared around me, mom??" Jayce asked, a bored expression on his face.

 "No, I don't. Because he grew up with you. He knows you would never hurt him intentionally." Jayce remained quiet. "And I don't think Elmira hates you...She never will...In fact, she came down for breakfast after you left." Jayce looked up at Hannah, who smiled at him and wiped his tears away with her thumb. "Now, get up and wash your face. You still have a picnic to prepare for."

 Jayce chuckled a little. "Yes, mom..." he smiled at her before getting up. 

 Hannah watched her son, as he washed up. She gave a small frown. Her boy had been keeping so many feelings locked up, deep inside for so long...His mate may be getting to him more than she thought, because Jayce, was letting out more of his emotions than he ever did before.