Chapter 1

*Jayce and Alexander are 17. In the prologue, they were ten. The story will continue to be told by Oliver, but it may switch between POV's. *

 Alexander sat out in the backyard, thinking. His father had told him he was going to be Alpha after he turned 18. Which would be next year. But, it still worried him. He was human and couldn't do most of the things a were-creature could do. Before he had turned 16, he had been hoping against all odds for a miracle. That...he'd shift. But, he never did shift. Jayce shifted. He turned out to be a dragon. 

 Jayce was a cold, quiet boy. He was very protective of his family. He had told his family that his dragon's name was, Adir. It meant Strong One. Really fits him, right? Anyway, Adilynn was 15. She was going to turn 16 soon, however, and was excited. Her brothers, on the other hand, especially Jayce, were not. 

 "Addie, I don't care. If anyone wants you, they are going to have to prove to me that they can take care of you first. Even before he even thinks about loving you." 

 "Jayce, I know your my older brother and a big, bad, scary dragon, but that doesn't give you the right to run my life! When I meet my mate, you are going to have to accept him whether you like it or not! And I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't be so cold and mean to him." Adilynn fumed.

  She and her brother had been arguing about her finding her mate since she turned 15. It was driving the two further and further apart. 

 Adilynn left and went out to the backyard with Alexander. 

 "You are my little sister, Addie! It's my job to protect you!" Jayce yelled after her. 

 From inside, his father, Liam, and mother, Hannah, had overheard everything. 

 "They've been fighting a lot recently..." Hannah said quietly. 

 "I know...I don't like to think about our little girl getting her mate so soon, but Jayce..." Liam's voice trailed off. 

 "I know, Liam...She's growing up and becoming a young lady. Jayce still sees her as his little sister whom he needs to protect. He doesn't want to let her go.." 

 "Hannah, she'll always be his little sister and he still should be prepared to fight for her. Just like she'll always be our little girl. Jayce is just...so cold and fierce...He doesn't give anyone the chance to get to know the boy we know." Liam told his mate. 

 "I know, Liam...I'm almost afraid for his mate...How he's going to be with her and...if she'd give him a chance, knowing how cold he is. And with Adilynn, she's going to be 16 soon. What if Jayce scares him away? Or.....What if his attitude causes her to run away to be with her mate??" 

 "I don't think it'll go that far. At least I hope not.....But I will talk to Jayce. I was planning on it anyway. He's getting very aggressive in his training. I think he needs to take a break for a while. We can't have a warrior as aggressive and violent as he is becoming. Until he calms down, I don't think it's wise for him to continue." 

 Hannah nodded and took Liam's hand in hers. "I agree with you, Liam. He will be angry, though. He wants to be a warrior more than anything.." 

 "And I think he'd make a great warrior. But he is becoming much too aggressive. Uncle Chase told me he put one of the warriors in the hospital during training! He knows he's supposed to take it easy in training." 

 "Oh my! Who was the warrior?" Hannah asked, her eyes wide. Liam sighed. "Uncle Mason." "What?! Your Uncle Mason?!" Hannah gasped. "Yes. He's fine though, thank goodness. I was actually thinking about asking dad and mom some advice about him...Possibly about Alexander as well." 

 Hannah knew what he meant about Alexander. It was obvious the boy was troubled about being Alpha one day. Liam's father and mother, Ethan and June, had dealt with Liam and his younger brother, Jake. Liam went blind when he was a boy and was very different after that. In fact, he didn't really want to be Alpha. Jake became a bratty bully. Eventually, they both changed. But Ethan and June had to deal with them and Liam thought perhaps, they could give him some advice.

 Jayce had gone to hang out with two of his cousins, Tana and Daniel. Daniel was sixteen and Tana was nineteen. They hadn't found their mate yet, but were looking forward to when they did. Often, Jayce heard people saying he was too cold and fierce. He wasn't sure if how he felt about his mate. What if she was someone he couldn't trust? How would he know he could trust her? Yes, Jayce had trouble trusting other people. But that wasn't the only reason or even the main reason. Jayce was afraid of hurting his mate. He knew how violent he could be. He knew he could be rude, mean, and cold. The last thing he wanted to do was hurt his mate. His dragon, Adir, was just as fierce as you might expect. But he was kind and gentle as well. He would never let anything happen to his family or mate and always tried to tell Jayce that they'd never let that happen. But, Jayce was stubborn. He just didn't listen to his dragon.