Chapter 2

(Don't expect two chapters a day to be an every time thing.)

After the discovery of Reed's survival and the place of inhabitants, Monarch set up a research area; monitoring, analyzing, and studying Reed, who didn't seem too overly fond of the idea. He kept his distance, ultimately staying submerged for long periods, only arising to get air, and then quickly resubmerging. The GDF supplied Monarch with weapons in case Reed got too confident or tried to stretch his leash. This transaction wasn't uncommon, despite both leaders having opposing ideals for the Kaiju Girls. The Argo was armed with the necessary equipment since it was designed and made by the GDF. But, getting weaponry for a lab site was more unusual. Though Serizawa particularly opposed anti-KG weaponry, this was an exception until further notice.
In the weeks of their research, Gojirin seemed to be bordering Reed's territory, with the latter at first showing minimal signs of distress when she was in the area. Gojirin seemed to communicate with Reed, but conversations seemed one-sided. Eventually, the visits stopped.
A concerning hazard was discovered in the area. It wasn't contaminated by radiation; they had gotten past the fear of radiation poisoning, and it was rather lifeless. The samples of the water had faint traces of the chemical inside Reed's bloodstream. The same that caused him to mutate. It was neutralized a long time ago and has become so unconcentrated it is harmless. Thankfully.

July 25, 2016

Swimming harmlessly in the water of Tokyo Bay's Aqua Line, a grilled shark was mutating. It had been feeding on nuclear waste dumped into the bay since the 1950s. Its body grew, changed, snapped, and grew to be unrecognizable.
Gojirin, all the way on her island home could faintly sense this but didn't think much, since its radiation was so weak, and laid back down to sleep. Soon, the drilled shark finished its mutation and became a tadpole-like creature.

 Soon, the drilled shark finished its mutation and became a tadpole-like creature

It was soon sighted, only its tail, and red hot blood filling the area. The GDF sent a search and destroy team to look for it, only to be fruitless. Soon, it evolved again, growing a more capable body, and crawling onto land.

Even for a kaiju of its size, it caused minimal damage and casualties, after having mutated, caused further destruction by projectile vomiting a stream of boiling blood, before retreating, similar to Reed

Even for a kaiju of its size, it caused minimal damage and casualties, after having mutated, caused further destruction by projectile vomiting a stream of boiling blood, before retreating, similar to Reed. It was dubbed "Kamata Kun", with the mutation being called "Shinagawa Kun".

 It was dubbed "Kamata Kun", with the mutation being called "Shinagawa Kun"

The GDF were now on top of this, hunting down the Kaiju.

One team, consisting of five members, was above a small submarine on a boat. The boat group was keeping the surface checked, while the submarine did the deep diving.
"You think we'll find it?" one soldier asked.
"We'd better. Otherwise, we could face the same catastrophe as America did back in '78." the one at the gun replied. Two others were on the deck, making unimportant small talk, while the captain talked over calms.
"Dive squad, you found her yet?"
"No luck. How is it on your end?"
"Just as lucky." the captain muttered under his breath, looking it over. The boat's sonar wasn't picking anything up. The whole crew and boat remained relatively silent, the sound of the boat moving along with the propeller being the only thing, before finally getting a ping.
"Wait," the captain said, getting on comms "We might have something up here."
"So do we." The sub crew said.
The surface soon pulled up onto what their sonar had detected and found it was a large fishing vessel, that'd been attacked.
"What the hell?" the one at the gun asked, stepping off his station, and leaning to look at it. The others went to the end of the boat and studied the damage.
"Looks like it got itself a meal." One commented. The captain then noticed some torn flesh.
"Yeah... looks also like it got itself a cut." the chunk of caught meat was disgusting, almost clinging to the wood, growing on it like a tumor. The boat was then nudged, shaking everyone on it.
"Back to stations!" The general commanded, running to comms and speaking on it. "Dive team, we might have something." white noise.
"Do you copy? It might be here!" Eerie, white noise. The boat was rocked again, now being pushed away from the ship. The wander was disturbed as something swam close to the surface. The captain cursed under his breath before turning on all available lights, which blinded and illuminated everything around them. Soldiers who weren't at the main gun took arms and looked around, but saw no movement. The Captain put in their distress signal, before firing the designated Red flare to inform of a Kaiju. The boat then rose a bit, before letting itself be dropped down. Water now was on the deck, and the lights got the red body of Shinagawa Kun swimming below them, before vanishing. Dead quiet. That's what everything was for them now. When the sound of something breaching the surface, and the water dribbled off its rough skin, it was audible for everyone. The guy at the gun slowly looked up and saw the large monolith of a red-scaled beast with dead fish eyes looking at him. He was shocked, and quickly rose the machine gun up at it to fire, only to be snapped in two by its jaws. His upper body was devoured, and the remaining crew began opening fire. The bullets bounced off the skin, and it didn't seem to care as it chopped down on the boat, and the nearest soldier. The man's screams were heard as his arm fell out of Shinagawa Kun's mouth. The captain then grabbed the large machine gun and began opening fire, this time, the bullets seemed to be felt this time. Shinagawa-Kun looked down at the captain and his futile attempts to injure her, and then opted instead to just eat the poor fool. Three soldiers had been devoured, with the remaining two quick to join them, as Shinagawa Kun snapped them both up, before being fired upon by more machine gun fire. Shinagawa Kun roared before charging at the first boat and ended up clamping down on the whole thing. She shook it in her jaws, the crunch and groan as it was destroyed before being tossed aside. The soldiers all opened fire at her in a single area; the head, which caused her to back up, as bullets ended up gracing and piercing her eyes, making her roar in pain, before swiping a whole legion away with a tail swoop. The remaining crew screamed into comms.
"We're getting slaughtered out here! We need bigger guns!" before their screams were heard, followed by hissing and gobbled screams as boiling blood was vomited onto all of them. One unfortunate fellow was blinded by the burning feeling in his eyes, he couldn't scream as his throat burned. Boils appeared on his skin as it was practically cooked, and he looked as red as Shinagawa Kun, who shortly snatches him up. He felt his torso being pierced for a moment before shock ultimately killed him. Screams and cries of the remaining soldiers, mixed with gunshots, filled the night's air, with Shinagawa Kun's roar drowning them out. She saw around the wreckage for a bit, snacking on the remaining, mangled corpses, or the few lucky survivors, before swimming down. Her eyes adopted a small change, a membrane that would guard them, leading to a slight change. Her body grew slightly, her arms grew longer and more efficient, and capable of grabbing and bringing food to her mouth. In her evolving state, the remaining submarines found her and fired torpedoes. Shinagawa Kun was struck by three, which caused a larger amount of damage. She retaliated by trying to attack, only to have one hit her in the brain, and the rest of the barrage destroyed 45% of her body mass. She floated there, lifeless before sinking to the depth. No heartbeat could be detected coming off her, leaving her presumed dead.

How wrong they were.