Chapter five: friends

Bolaji planned to talk to his friends, but he had no time off from work. He was working around the clock to catch up on things he missed during his break. The day has been tiring but he felt in his element, he was back to work which seemed to lift his spirit. He enjoyed his holiday but he also missed work. The feeling of putting ones all into something was something he missed. Bolaji wanted to meet up with his friends to have a conversation about what he had talked about a week prior with Kareem. Strangely though, he was feeling much better about the matter than he was before.
He still wanted to have a talk with them though, he hasn’t been able to see them for a while now. Bolaji was done for the day, he exited the door, after biding Lydia goodbye, and he headed for his car. He started his car to drive to Kareem’s house after dropping a call in to see if he was home. Kareem’s house wasn’t that far from his house and it was actually closer to work than his own house. Before he bought his current house, he would usually go to work from Kareem’s place when things were busy and tight in the company. That was when he was still working his way up in the company. His friends were the ones who had advised him to buy a house closer to the company, ironically. Bolaji liked his home, it was quiet and always gave him a sense of peace. If there was anything wrong with the place, it would be that it was too big to be alone in. He was starting to realize he was in desperate need of someone to share his things with.
After driving for a while, he arrived at Kareem’s house. He pulled into the open gate and parked his car in front of his garage. The house was a little distant from the gate, a double garage appeared in sight as he got to the house, but they were both occupied. The house was beautiful surrounded by a beautiful scenery of trees and flower garden. It was worth millions. He got up to the house and rang the bell.
The door opened to reveal Kareem. ‘’ Hey, man.’’ he greeted in a strong voice with a little roughness. Kareem shook his outstretched hand and pulled him into a shoulder bump, they both slapped each other’s back enthusiastically. ‘’ How are you doing, man?’’
Kareem was a dark skinned guy who stood at 5’9. He was a handsome dude with neatly trimmed and shaped beard. He was a cool and collected dude; the only time he shows otherwise was when he was with them and his fiancée. Kareem was thirty, only a year older than him, and they have been friends for a very long time.
‘’ I’m good, Kareem. How are you too?’’ he inquired of his friend, smiling.
‘’ I’m doing okay. Hope there wasn’t too much to catch up to at work?’’ Kareem asked as they started walking towards living room.
‘’ I hope that’s sarcasm. You are the owner of a company yourself, you know how things are on a normal day. Not to talk of after taking two whole weeks off. To think I actually let you both talk me…’’ Bolaji started ranting.
‘’ Well, not our fault.’’ He was cut off by a familiar rumbling voice as they reached the living room. ‘’You needed the break. It’s not like the business is going to fail in your small absence. That… and you agreed to it yourself.’’
Kareem chuckled.
‘’Sylvester,’’ he called his friend’s name out. He wasn’t aware that he was also around. ‘’ Didn’t know you were around. I wasn’t even aware you were back in town.’’
‘’Came back yesterday. Sorry for not informing you, my bad.’’ Sylvester said. He stood up from his chair and went to do the shoulder bump greeting. 28-year old Sylvester was a pretty tall guy who stood like an inch or two taller than him, and he was six feet tall.  
‘’It is okay. So, how was the business trip? How are you too?’’
‘’The trip went well and we wrapped up good. And I’m fine, it was actually fun if you remove work from the equation.’’ he replied.
Bolaji shook his head at Sylvester’s hopelessness before turning to face Kareem. ‘’Hey, Kareem. I thought that was your lady’s car parked in the garage. Is she not home?’’ Bolaji asked.
‘’ Nah. Tina went out with her friends.’’ he said scrunching his face up a little. There was slight distaste in his voice.
‘’ What? Don’t tell me you are missing her already?’’ Bolaji said as he chuckled
‘’Apparently, that has been happening frequently, lately. And our friend over here is not in love with the idea like he is with his woman. Pretty sure he misses her already.’’ Sylvester teased. ‘’ Uhn uhn lover boy. Things might change now that you are here though.’’
‘’ You better shut your mouth over there, Sylvester.’’ Kareem said scowling. He moved over to the single sitter that was facing the huge television and sat down, spread his legs out and laid both his arms on the sofa’s hand rest. Knowing Sylvester, he was sure he had been constantly annoying him with subject.
Those two, Bolaji thought as he shook his head in amazement with a smile on his face.
‘’ By the way, I wasn’t blaming you both. I’m quite glad I took the break. Made me aware of some things in my life. Like the fact that the house too big and empty for only me. I never really noticed that because I always occupied myself with work.’’ Bolaji said.
Bolaji sat on the large black sofa beside Sylvester. He loosened his tie and removed his suit to make himself more comfortable. 
‘’ That’s what we have been trying to tell you. It’s good that you noticed that yourself, it shows there’s still hope for you just yet.’’ Kareem said
‘’That’s my guy, so you are finally going to listen to us. Come on, I will introduce you to some hot ladies.’’ Sylvester chimed in enthusiastically.
Kareem looked at him sceptically ‘’ I don’t know about that. Given that none of your relationships last long. I’m doubtful about the ladies you are going to introduce him to.’’
‘’Ouch, man. You are really having a sour day. That one actually hurt a little.’’ Sylvester said in a sarcastic voice. He placed one his hands on his chest with a mock hurt expression on his face.
‘’ Well… it’s true. But who knows, the ladies might be innocent. Their mistake might be that they chose a playboy like you.’’ Kareem said.
‘’ I can assure you they are not. Life is all about fun. I’m not about to stay in a serious relationship.’’ Sylvester said smiling.
Both Bolaji and Kareem shook their head. Bolaji said ‘’ I really pity those poor ladies. Wonder what they even see in you.’’
Sylvester grinned devilishly ‘’ Well,’’ he started counting down on his hand. ‘’ I’m tall, rich, handsome, and I’ve got a really good game. What’s not to like?’’
‘’ Let’s leave the idiot’s matter.’’ Kareem said. ‘’ You called me earlier to talk to me about this lady you met. So, any luck in finding her today?’’
‘’ No, I didn’t see her. I was quite busy and I don’t even think she’s from the company, it felt like she was at the company to do something.’’ Bolaji said. He made sure to look around whenever he moved around in the building, but he saw no one who even resembled her. He also asked if there was someone who matched that kind of appearance in the company but could get a match.
‘’Wait,’’ Sylvester said looking confused ‘’ he actually called you about a lady on his own accord?!’’
‘’Yep… and it was in the middle of the night too.’’ Kareem said smiling. ‘’I didn’t tell you? I wonder why.’’ He looked at Sylvester pointedly.
‘’ That’s serious news.’’ Sylvester looked at Kareem ignoring his look. Sylvester grinned. ‘’ That must have made you cranky to be awoken while you were sleeping, seems a lot of people are doing things you don’t like.’’
‘’ I promised to make it up to him’’ Bolaji said.
‘’ So, what’s this about a lady? Start talking, I’m intrigued.’’
And so, Bolaji told him about his encounter.
‘’ Why didn’t you talk to her?’’ Sylvester asked. ‘’You should have said something to her, you know.’’
‘’Said the same thing.’’ Kareem put in.
Sylvester scrunched up his face in thought. ‘’ Well, that’s gone. Can you at least describe her? We might be able to help. Our friend has finally found someone he’s interested in, we gotta go all out.’’ He finished excitedly.
Sylvester was grinning like mad. Anything concerning females always has his friend all fired up, and he actually has the most chance of recognizing her. So, he described her to them in detail. He could picture her as he described her. It was like she was standing in front of him.
Both Kareem and Sylvester had strange look on their face like they were trying to recall something.
‘’ I swear she sounds like I should know but I can’t seem recall.’’ said Sylvester after a while.
‘’ Me too. Sounds like someone I know, but I can’t also recall.’’ Kareem looked at him. ‘’ But don’t worry, the fact that both Sylvester and I seem to know her signifies it is someone we know or prominent, so it shouldn’t take long to find her.’’
That was strange. They both seem to know something about her but can’t recall. When Bolaji described her, he just did so because he knew they would be curious what she looked like. He wasn’t expecting them to actually recognize her.
‘’ Say, are you going to be busy tomorrow? We can just get together again tomorrow, I’m sure I would have remembered by then.’’ Kareem said.
‘’ I actually have a business date tomorrow. I also have a lot of things to attend to… so I don’t think I will get the time.’’ Replied Bolaji before looking at his watch. It was already late. ‘’ Will you look at that, it’s already getting late. I have a long and busy day ahead of me tomorrow. I’ll have to get going guys. And thanks for your help.’’
‘’ Come on, man. Tis nothing, we are friends after all.’’ Kareem said waving his hand. ‘’ I’ll drop a call then if I happen to remember.’’
‘’ Thanks.’’ Bolaji smiled ‘’ Okay then, till next time. Tell Tina I said hi.’’
‘’ Okay, I will… When she decides to eventually come back.’’
‘’ She loves you too much not to.’’ Bolaji said. Sylvester snickered, which got Kareem glaring at him.
Sylvester looked over at him. ‘’ Okay, then. I will also do the same thing as Mr cranky over here.’’

*Sorry this is coming late guys*