Chapter four: anticipation

Waiting was exhausting. Samantha had been waiting for a response for over a week. It wasn’t like she placed too much hope on the deal being successful with that company. After all, it was one of many options, it was just that they stood much better chance of getting out of their predicament with their help. And oh boy, were they in deep trouble. They were having difficulties in getting new clients, some of the ones they had were dropping them too. Deals they also formed with other companies were also been annulled. They were all refusing to work with them whilst giving flimsy excuses.
Samantha sighed. The situation was overwhelming, it was almost like someone was hell-bent on destroying them. She had been trying all possible ways to get them out the predicament. Because if it continued any longer the company would go bankrupt and she wasn’t about to let that happen.
So, Samantha desperately needed for the new deals she wanted to succeed. Her mind was going absolutely crazy with anticipation, she felt like standing up to pace in the office. She looked around the office that was bright due to morning sun peeking through the open blinders. It was a big room located on the top floor of the 45-floor skyscraper, one of the tallest in their vicinity. The office was well decorated with flower vase and plant pots sitting by the windows. The entire flooring was made of polished brown wood. A sofa set sat some distance away from her desk. Her white desk was an oval-shaped wooden table made from oak. Today, Samantha was wearing an all-black suit with a white shirt, a low heeled shoe and a trouser that stopped just above her ankles.
Her father has been acting up these days, acting like all the problems in the company were all her fault. These problems were already in the company before she became the acting CEO. He had the nerve to suggest she quit her position if she wasn’t up for it. That had pissed her off, it had caused quite the friction between her and her father.
He had forced her to go to business school to be able to take over the business empire. Now, he was suggesting she leave the position she fought hard to get. Despite being the daughter of the CEO, she refused the high position her father offered. She wanted to work her way out from the bottom. He had not liked that. She remembered with a smile, her father was a controlling man and that was one of the times she had refused his wish. She had always taken pleasure in denying him his wishes but she couldn’t always do that. For all his antiques and flaws, he was still her father and she loved him since he was the only parent she had left.
Deep in her thoughts, a soft knock on the door broke her out of it. Putting on a calmer face, ‘’ Come in.’’ Samantha answered.
Her secretary’s/advisor’s/friend’s face poked through the door. She waved her in. Her secretary, Bella, a tall beautiful dark skinned woman sauntered in. She was a bit thin which is made even more pronounced by her height.
‘’ I just received a call from Antares holding,’’ She said. Moving closer to her desk she continued ‘’ it’s from the Director’s secretary. She said he’s around.’’
The anticipation building up inside her went out as she breathed out a breath of relief. But the anticipation began to build up again as she thought about how the ordeal was going to go.
Seeing the change in her, ‘‘ Should I call back to make an appointment for a later date or are you going to call back now?’’ Bella asked.
“Of course, I’m calling back now. This is very urgent, you know that.” she replied.
“I know… I know.” Bella said sighing. With concern in her voice, she continued “I just don’t want you to seem desperate to them. Seeing as there is a possibility of this not working out. We do not want them to know more than they should.”
“Don’t worry, I know what I’m doing. I just have to do this without letting them know about our situation and how desperate we are.” Samantha said smiling at Bella.
“The board members are all getting impatient, including my father, we have to produce result.’’
‘’Ok. I will be going then. Good luck.’’
“Thanks.” She waited as Bella walked out the room.
After the door closed, she picked up the phone, and dialled the number. She took a deep breath in and let it out, then waited as the phone rang. After a few rings someone picked up the phone, “Hello.” Samantha said.
A pause, then, “Hello…” replied a deep voice which made her heart sing in excitement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“…Hello.” Bolaji heard a silky beautiful voice.
“My name is Samantha Brown. I am the acting CEO of The Browne’s enterprise.” She introduced in a light but firm tone. “I am sure you are already aware, I personally came to your company last week. I met some of your board members, but I wanted to talk to a person in your position.’’
Bolaji took longer than necessary to reply back. Her voice sounded so beautiful. It made him sit up even tighter on his seat. He knew he was going to be hanging on to everything she was going to be saying.
“My name is Bolaji Oladele, I am the Director of the company. I got the brief about that. The matter must be really important for you to make such a request.’’ Bolaji said with his voice sounding a little deeper than usual. ‘’After all, it is not every day the company’s executives encounter situations they couldn’t handle.’’
‘’ Look, I’m really sorry if I offended them with the request I made. But the matter I want to discuss with you is really sensitive and important to my company.’’ She said.                                                                                                                                                                       
What she said was supposed to be apologetic but her tone wasn’t. She simply said it as a matter of fact. Bolaji smirked, he wasn’t offended in the slightest bit though. He expected as much from the leader of a company. She sounded like a strong, capable woman. Bolaji admired that.
‘’ Not offended in the slightest, a bit grouchy, maybe. But that is to be expected.’’ Bolaji assured her. ‘’So if you don’t mind, what exactly is the business you wanted to discuss?’’
Samantha replied ‘’ It won’t really be convenient for us to discuss this on the phone. So, I have a proposition.’’
‘’ Oh, what do you propose we do?’’ Bolaji said.
Samantha replied. ‘’ How about we go out on a date?’’
Bolaji was visibly shocked. Of course she couldn’t see that but he sat up even straighter in his chair. A date? He wasn’t sure he heard her right so he asked again.
‘’ A date?’’ His voice almost got caught up in his throat, his voice went low as he asked the question.
‘’Yes,’’ she replied. ‘’ A business date. I believe we’ll be able to talk more in depth if we were to meet in person.’’
‘’ Oh, right. A business date…’’ he said as he let out the breath he didn’t even know he was holding in. Of course… a business date. She couldn’t possibly have meant another thing. He didn’t even know why he almost thought otherwise. Actually scratch that, he knew why he thought otherwise. ‘’You are right, that would be better.’’
‘’ Would tomorrow morning be okay with you then?’’ Samantha asked in the voice that keeps taking his breath away.
‘’ Yes, that will be okay.’’ He replied back. He will ask Lydia to clear his schedule for the time they will pick.
‘’ Okay then.’’ She said.
‘’ Thank you for your time. See you tomorrow.’’ Samantha finished after they decided on a time and ended the call, leaving him excited after.
Bolaji had never felt this way before and all this from just a phone call. Regardless of whether this was real date or business date, he didn’t care. He was simply looking forward to tomorrow. He was looking forward to meeting her.