Chapter twelve: second date

Isabella was already waiting for her when she got back to her office. She looked her face and said, '' Well, I don't envy you. Having to deal with all those people.'' She chuckled when she saw the exhausted expression on her face.
'' You don't know the half of it.'' Samantha walked up to the longer couch in her office and half slumped on it. Bella did know more than half in fact, since she also has to deal with the same people on a daily basis, coupled with what Samantha tells her.
Bella took a seat on the one seater beside her and sighed. '' You know, you've been working too hard these days. I know the urgency of things but you really need to rest more. You are overworking yourself.'' Her mellow voice sounded out caringly.
Her soothing voice alone was enough for now. '' I know, I'll try to.'' Samantha sighed out.
'' You will not try. You have to get some rest.'' She said firmly.
Samantha grinned as she said that. '' Yes, ma'am.'' She saluted weakly in a mocking manner.
'' You better.'' Bella said playing along as she also assumed a stricter expression. They both had a laugh at themselves.
Bella looked at her tenderly. '' Seriously, though. Get some rest.''
'' I will.'' Samantha said reassuringly.
'' So, tell me what happened in the meeting.''
She began telling Bella all that transpired in the meeting. Time went by as she was talking. The sun was now shining through the window, they had to pull the blinds to prevent the rays entering their eyes.
There was a scowl in Bella's usually calm face. '' Honestly, that crazy bitch Sandra, I promise, one day, she's going to get it from me. I honestly don't know how you deal with her calmly''
Samantha chuckled. Her displeasure was understandable, she has had a tussle with Sandra before and has since hated her. '' Calmly, is how you deal with her type. It's not something I'm always successful at, though.''
'' Uhn, even saying her name leaves a distaste in my name.'' she said scrunching up her face. '' Let's leave her for now. Has the Antares gotten back to you yet?'' Bella inquired raising her eyebrows.
'' Not yet. You know this sometimes takes time. While there's no certainty, I'm kinda hopeful about this one. We'll probably hear back from them soon.'' That was what she seriously thought. Even though they haven't heard back yet, she was expecting to soon.
'' Let's hope so.'' Bella said.
Bella almost hadn't finished her sentence that the phone on her desk rang. Samantha grunted as she pushed herself up to go pick it up. Behold, the caller that showed up was under the name of the Antares Director's office. Her heartbeat picked up as her eyes widened in surprise at how soon they were calling and at the thought of speaking to him again. Samantha glanced at Bella as she pointed her index finger to phone. '' It's them.'' it's him, Samantha thought. She didn't say more than that. Bella knew exactly who she was talking about. Bella's face also lifted up in surprise but she didn't say anything
Wow, she wasn't expecting this. '' Hello...'' she said tentatively but with a firm voice.
'' Hello,'' Came a familiar voice. His voice sounded as deep as she remembered it. '' this is Bolaji Oladele from the Antares Enterprise.''
Samantha didn't know why he was calling now but she guess he was going to say it. '' Samantha Browne. How have you been, Mr Bolaji Oladele?'' asked Samantha.
'' I've been good, thank you. How have you been, too, Miss Browne?'' Bolaji also asked her.
'' I've been good, too, Mr Bolaji.'' Samantha replied him.
A slight pause. '' If you don't mind, you can just call me Bolaji.''
A smile played on her lips. '' Alright then, Bolaji.'' She said wrapping his name on her tongue as she pronounced it. '' I must insist you call me just Samantha, for fairness sake.''
'' Samantha,'' He said slowly and softly as if testing her name on his lips. She liked the way her name rolled off his mouth with his voice that deep. '' I'm calling about the matter we discussed two days ago.''
'' Yes...,'' Samantha said hesitantly waiting for him to finish.
'' I have some things to discuss with you about that... and I was wondering if you would be less busy tomorrow. I want to know if we can meet up if you are. Will that be feasible?'' Bolaji finished.
Yes! She wanted to shout but her common reigned in. '' Yes, I can clear up some space for it.'' She tried her best to sound casual. She was still the acting head of the company, she didn't want him know happy the whole thing was making her.
'' Good. Alright, let's meet up at the same place, same time as last time, if that will be alright with you.'' His deep voice resounded in her ears. '' I really like that place.''
Samantha chuckled as he said. He seemed to have fallen in love with that place. She liked that.
'' It is alright.'' Samantha assured him.
'' See you tomorrow, then'' Bolaji said as he ended the call.
She turned to face Bella as she asked. '' What was that all about?'' Bella asked with curiosity lacing her voice.
Samantha was feeling bubbly as she said. '' I have a date.''

DAY 12

The next day, Samantha arrived at the restaurant in her yellow Chevrolet. She packed in front of the restaurant and stepped out of the car. It was late morning and the sun had already risen past the horizon. The weather was warm so she opted to wear a short yellow gown that rested just below her knees, it hugged her shape, coupled with a pair of short heels. She made sure it was a formal wear but not too business-like.
She headed inside the restaurant and went straight over to her favourite spot. She already knew where he would choose to sit. Samantha's breath held as she saw him, he was already sitting all regal and looking very handsome with his boyish face. She saw him before he saw her, the outside view seemed to have caught his attention. But not long after she saw him, Bolaji also turned his towards her and she saw his face lift up into a smile.
Samantha got over to the table and he was already standing up to greet her. Standing up to his full height, his tall frame casted a shadow on her. Bolaji wasn't wearing his business suit either. Instead he was dressed in a shirt with a thin black jacket on top it which was opened up in front and body fitted blue jeans. She caught a whiff of his cologne as she shook his hand, he smelt so good she wanted to hug him to bask in his scent.
She took her seat and glanced in the direction he had been looking before. The scene was truly breath-taking. '' A beautiful morning, isn't it?''
Bolaji also followed her gaze outside. '' Yeah, you are right.'' He said softly. She studied Bolaji for a moment as he was lost in the moment. From his expression, she could he was a fan of things like this. There was form of tranquillity that descended upon them as they enjoyed the moment. She suddenly wanted to know more about him.
'' So, you are fan of the outdoors?'' Samantha asked inquisitively.
He moved his gaze towards. '' Yes, I am.'' He said as his face lifted into a smile. '' I used to love going out and just stare out into nature. It is a beautiful thing.''
'' Used to?'' Samantha asked.
'' Well, I'm mostly busy these days, so I don't really have the time. Now, I just appreciate the ones that I can access.'' Bolaji said.
Samantha nodded. She understood that. It is the same for her. '' What about you? Considering this is your favourite restaurant, you must at least have an interest in the outdoors?'' Bolaji asked her.
'' Well, that's true. I also enjoy the outdoors. And for the same reason as you, I also don't really have that much time for it these days. So, I make do with this here.'' She gestured outside. The location of their company was also a bonus for her as it overlooks a large river.
She thought back to the days when she was still young and it was just her and her father. Her mother had died by then and her father had descended into his controlling ways. One of the only ways she found solace was either to go to her friend Bola or just wander away from home, which was when she fully developed her habit for the outdoors.
The waiter came over to them to take their order. That broke her out her thought. Samantha ordered just water for the moment, she could see that was what Bolaji also had in front of him.
She decided to proceed with what they were here to do. '' You said you had some things to discuss with me concerning my proposal.'' She took a serious tone as she abruptly changed the conversation. She was now speaking formally.
Bolaji's brows raised at the sudden change in her but he didn't ask her anything. He proceeded to say why he called her. They discussed about the little changes he would like to implement in the proposal. They finished talking after some time, she was feeling better again. This was going well, a little more and things would be finalized. That was what she was thinking until a question he asked threw her off and her heart sank in her chest.
'' There is one last thing I would like to ask if you don't mind.'' Bolaji said.
Samantha nodded for him to continue and added. '' Sure.''
'' Okay.'' Bolaji stared at her intently and asked. '' Is there anything going on in your company that I should be aware of?''