Chapter Ten (End of Act One): And So it Begins, the Road to Redemption

FLASHBACK (The Trial of Moranox and Rosseaux-Yanez)...

"There is no sympathy for either of you, gentlemen, as the court finds you guilty of murdering your fiancees," Judge Dominique McKee, a hardy and plump older woman and circuit supernatural judge, said crisply after the final statements were made. "Mr. Rosseaux-Yanez and Mr. Moranox, all who have seen your journey after you two rejected Mr. Lemieux as your mates believe that you two are deemed unfit for Alpha apparency and also for the general population. In my opinion,  neither of you deserve to have such titles after your betrayal that killed the Goddess' child's pups by breaking his heart and his trust in you. You allowed those women to nearly slaughter him. If not for the fact that he mated with you and given his powers afterwards, he wouldn't be alive today and all of Texas would call for your deaths."

"Your Honor," the court-appointed lawyer, a meek older man named Mr. Newsbitt, said. "Mr. Rosseaux-Yanez and Mr. Moranox are aware of their crimes and they appeal to you for a less-brutal sentence than what they deserve. They are still haunted by their poor choices and they are truly sorry for what they have done."

"Counsel, I find that hard to believe since one of them was the ringleader," the Amazonian-esque female prosecutor replied tersely. "Mr. Moranox, on the other hand, was the one who initially refused to go along with this until he was browbeaten to do the same. Still, the punishment should be for both of the convicted. Your Honor, the Republic of Texas strongly believes in this matter that both boys should reflect for their poor decisions and all of the supernatural world believes that this should be a teachable moment to show the world what happens when one breaks the mating bond."

"My sentiments exactly," the judge commented. Turning to the young men as Luciane began to silently weep, she stared them down. "Luciane Moranox and Matthieux Rosseaux-Yanez, the court finds you guilty as charged for all the crimes mentioned," she intoned sternly. "The Republic of Texas sentences you to serve prison time at the Brownsville Federal Penitentiary for the rest of your natural lives without the chance for parole. On top of that, you two will be serving a day of solitary confinement on the anniversary of your foolish choices. May the supernatural gods have mercy on your souls."

She banged her gavel twice. "Court adjourned."

Lachlan collapsed to the ground as he finally sobbed. Only Matt stood firm as he was soon led away by the guards. "I did what I had to do," was all he said over and over again. "I did what I had to do..."

*****************

PRESENT DAY, the Covington Springs town hall and courthouse...

"You nervous?"

Marithe snapped out of his thoughts as he caught the concerned stares of Chance as they were with Chace and Lachlan in the hallways of the stately town hall and courthouse. "A little," he replied. "But I'm ready for my debut."

It was early morning and almost all of the townspeople were ready to get the formal look of the newest members of the Gold Fin merfolk coven, the members themselves (save for the newborns and young ones) coming out in half-dressed or scantily-clad attire (men in tight swimsuits or form-fitting gym shorts and the women in flowy sundresses with no makeup since they were genetically beautiful). Various packs and covens were also coming out alongside the humans (most of which were dressed in work clothes as some were causally dressed in sleepwear). And sure enough, both Arianna and her cousin Taranna's respective covens- the Red Rose and the Black Lily- were dressed in their finest clothes while Thierry and Lyle (whom was seen by neither of the newly-minted Omegas) were there as well as Druscilla and her divine siblings. And all of them were waiting to hear the opening statements and their vows to undergo their road to redemption.