PART XXIX

"Rise and shine! That's enough sleeping!"

Tiny hands lightly slapped Ethiel’s face.

Heavy eyes had no intention of opening.

"Get up, sleepyhead!"

Somehow, Ethiel forced his eyes to open a little.

A blurry Tifa was standing in front of him, and something red was hovering beside her — Red Wings.

There was something warm spread over him, and under his head was a very soft cushion.

"Looking at these love birds is too much for me!" Red Wings flied out of his blurry view. "If it were the good ol' days, my flames would burn them down to nothing."

"I'd say they look pretty cute!"

That scared away Ethiel’s leftover sleep and his eyes were at once wide open. He looked above, Maya was sleeping as she sat. Her right wing was over him and his head was on her lap.

Blood rushed to his cheeks and they burnt.

To make things worse, Maya started waking up and when she did, his embarrassed and blushed face was the first thing she saw. Even her cheeks got red.

"Nice, you're awake too! Good morning!" Tifa beamed at her.

Maya noticed her presence and her face became a pink cherry. "You're here... too?"

"Yeah, we saw! Unfortunately, we saw!" Red Wings flew out of the room.

"Don't mind him."

That was the most embarrassing morning in Ethiel's entire life; it was even more embarrassing than his childhood mornings when he'd wake up with pee in his pants. His mother used to laugh to her heart's content on seeing him shy in those wet pants.

His cheeks remained red even during breakfast, and Tifa telling on him to Lord Veer made him wish to go to some isolated island, on a self-imposed exile, and only return when everyone had forgotten what happened. He was clearly able to see Maya was on the same boat as him.

Only when they went to the main research room upstairs to see Alice’s video before opening the second trunk did his normal self return.

Ethiel opened the video.

"Hello, my children." It was a sad relief to look at Alice yet again, smiling so brightly as if everything was alright and nothing was wrong. "I take that you succeeded in getting the first part of the Pyramid. Congratulations to all of you.

I can't even think of how difficult it must've been. Unfortunately, it isn't going to get easier. Tougher challenges await.

The next part is found in Earth. You will have to venture into the Forest of Temptations and prove your will to get it. In the second trunk, I've kept the map to it, the key item and an instruction note on how to use it, and two necklaces — one for Ethiel and one for Tifa.

The gem pendants of the necklace will be of utmost importance as they offer protection. They keep the creatures inside the forest at a distance. One touch from these creatures and your minds will experience devastating trauma from your own deepest fears, darkness, and horrifying memories amplified in diabolical ways.

Voices, images, smell, and feelings of everything you desire or fear will be used by these creatures to draw you to them, and to break your mental strength. Do not give in to it. As you go deeper, it will only get worse. At one point, the necklace will be ineffective, and that's how you know you've neared the second part. At this point, the creature's won't try to come in contact with you, rather their ways of luring you will be ay its peak and you will crave to get close to them, and once you are close enough, you will get ensnared. What follows will be greatly catastrophic for your mind if it has even a small hint of fear.

I'm truly sorry, the gem pendants were very hard to find and even harder to get. That's why I recommend stay close as much as possible.

Other than each other, everything else you see, hear, sense, and smell is dangerous. This one is going to be very perilous. Keep your head focused and clear of anything other than your objective, or you may find yourself doing things you know aren't good for you.

Remember to take the first fragment of the Pyramid of Lomeyin with you, or else you may not be able to enter. I pray that you shall succeed and I bless you all. Be careful. The password to the next video is the capital of Germany. Open it after you've completed this trial as well. I have faith in you all. Hope to see you in the next video."

Alice disappeared from the screen.

"This sounds..." Ethiel was lost of words, considering how nightmarish things were going to be. "This sounds risky... and scary."

"It doesn't 'sound', it bloody is!" Red Wings revolted. "There is no way I'm going there!"

"This is the only way forward," Lord Veer said. "If you need time to be better equipped mentally and emotionally, then do not hesitate to take it."

Ethiel thought of taking some time, but then he knew no amount of time and effort to be ready was ever going to be make him ready. Time was something they didn't have either. The only way to be ready was to face it head on.

"As much as I do, I gotta say I don't." Ethiel confessed, taking a deep breath, collecting his resolve and packing away his doubts. "Anyone else?"

Maya hesitantly shook her head.

"Let's do it." Tifa was bold as always.

"Me! I need years of time!" Red Wings came flying to Ethiel’s face.

"It is settled then. We are going." Ethiel ignored him; it had become a habit.

"Tifa, remove your concealment spell from the trunks." Lord Veer waved at the room, not knowing where the trunks were exactly.

"Right away, Lord Veer — wait. Where were they?" She gave a clueless expression.

"We are going to die!!" Red Wings screamed.