PART XVII

Just like Alice said, there was a big painting in the room; it portrayed an elegant scenery from Anigma. On Ethiel's touch, it turned to dust and faded away. The recess behind it harbouring the three small trunks became visible. Ethiel took out the trunks and made some place on a table to place them.

"This is the one marked as one," Tifa pointed with her tiny fingers.

Ethiel opened it. On cushion like fabric were kept a red small crystal, a handbook, and small a folded map. He first took out the crystal and the folded map.

"This must be the key item. And this," he unfolded the map with a gentle whip of his arm. It was an Anigman map, and there was a circle marked on one spot. "I suppose this is the location."

"I will hang on to this." Tifa took the handbook.

"Let me have a look at it," Lord Veer asked for the map with his cute monkey paws. He looked so adorable in his little monkey form.

Ethiel gave him the map.

He looked at it. "Ah. Cruden Desert Mountains. Quite at the centre of it. So that's where we will be headed."

"Is it far from the village?" Ethiel asked.

"You guessed right. The Grimar Plateau and Cruden Desert Mountains are far away from each other. Hopefully, Alice gave us the jar of Cherry Breeze Butterflies; that ought to make things less difficult."

"Shall I get the mirror ready, King Veer?" Maya asked.

"You might as well."

Ethiel put the red crystal in his jacket's pocket and took a seat. He looked at the entire place, sitting in silence, absorbing every detail. He didn't know if it was just him or if it indeed felt so ghostly and pensive. Lightning flashed in the ruthless rain outside, briefly casting a haunting white in the room. His mother spent so much time there all by herself doing what was her responsibility, her heavy heart nagging her endlessly. He couldn't imagine what she must've felt like.

Tifa came and stood by him. She too looked around. After a brief silence, she sniffed. Maybe her thoughts flowed down the same lane.

"It's ready," Maya had set up the mirror on the wall.

Lord Veer returned to his true form. "Anything of importance you would like to do before we go back?"

There was nothing. Ethiel's laptop was back in the village; other than that, nothing else was important for the quest. As for the trunks, Lord Veer suggested that they not take them along. In the worst scenario, the last thing they wanted was that the enemies get their hands on them. It wouldn't have been so safe to leave the trunks there in sight either, therefore Tifa used a concealment spell.

Mr. Tan had kept everything prepared for their departure from the village just as told. The surprising thing, though, was that he handed over a small bag to them. Ethiel looked at the bag doubtfully, confused, and a bit amused by its size. That's when Lord Veer laughed gleefully at his reaction and explained how the bag was a magical one, containing bigger bags inside it. They had medicinal herbs, camping things, food and water, tools to aid in combat, and some spare weapons. The bag then became a reminder that he was in Anigma.

Ethiel put on his archer's gear and took his bow and arrow, Lord Veer grabbed his big hammer, and all that Maya had to do was fold the mirror and keep it with her – it had by default become her duty – since her powers were vampiric and weapons weren't her style, at least in most cases. Tifa already had her staff and magic book with her, and Red Wings had nothing to prepare – he didn't even seem like he was going to even try and help, not with that indifferent, egoistic expression on his face.

All the arrangements done, Ethiel and his group came at the entrance of the village where Hammy and Moshu were waiting for them along with the rest of the villagers.

"From this moment on and till the moment I return, it is your duty to look after our village and our people, my trusted friend." Lord Veer patted Mr. Tan's shoulders.

"My Lord, rest assured, I will protect our village and our people with my life!" Mr. Tan bowed in respect.

"I know you will." Lord Veer smiled his handsome, warmth-suffusing smile.

Ethiel felt someone tugging the bottom of his jeans. He heard a squeak. It was Moshu.

"Moshu says he wishes us the best of luck and will pray that we come back successful and unharmed." Maya translated.

Ethiel sat on his knees, "Thank you very much, my little friend. We will come back with the freedom of Anigma."

"We will do everything we can to restore your normal lives," Tifa pinched Moshu's cheeks.

He squeaked.

"Moshu loved that." Maya giggled.

"Take care, children." Hammy hugged Ethiel and Tifa.

Ethiel looked behind; the entire village was cheering for all of them. In the crowd, his recent mentors looked at him and Tifa with pride. He and his sister had become the hope of those people. This quest was more than an attempt to bring back their mother; it also carried the trust, the prayers, the dreams, the hopes, the salvation, and the freedom of every true Anigman. He had to win – he owed it to himself, he owed to it his sister, and he owed it to Anigma.

Just then, Red Wings decided to open his demoralizing mouth.

"Yeah, yeah. Enjoy the moment – before we die in this doomed quest."

Quite a heated exchange followed that comment, between him and Mr. Tan and Maya. Lord Veer had to step in and stop them.

"May the Divine Spirits bless your crusade!" The chief shaman exclaimed, waving his hands at them; he was blessing them and praying for them.

They bid their farewell to the villagers one more time before walking into the tunnel, before walking into a future laden with nefarious nightmares at the centre of which shone everyone's desperate dreams.