PART XVIII

Long was the travel to Cruden Desert Mountains, even on the Cherry Breeze Butterflies. Thanks to Tifa who was reading the book on information about the trials, Ethiel was able to be better prepared for the challenge that awaited them. In few hours, he got to learn the fundamental concepts of world, the tree of life, the soul, and many other important wisdoms. It was more of a crash course though since he knew it didn't inform about every wisdom that existed.

The most special thing about Anigma's landscape was the striking diversity of the environment as the region changed. When the environment began to change gradually and the skies became a smoky vapour of chocolate with black cushions of clouds and broken starry threads of white adrift, Lord Veer told them they had reached the borders of Cruden Desert Mountains.

Below, the ground seemed black, but it was actually dark brown. The trees there seemed like they weren't trees but rather distorted projections of the ground, having the same colour and maybe even almost the same texture, be it the leaf, the branch, or the trunk; it wasn't clear from above. Soon, small mountains came into view, and their surface was pretty porous rather than soft. The wind became sandy.

"Cruden Desert Mountains," Ethiel looked at the exotic panorama. "Nice."

"Mhm." Tifa nodded.

"Where exactly is the place? Should we start walking?"

"We are only at the outskirts," Lord Veer said, looking at the map again. "The Cave of Truth is at the centre. Better save the time and stamina. I will tell you when to start walking."

"Alright, Lord Veer."

"It's so sandy here," Red Wings was in a bad mood, but that wasn't new.

"Maybe my hug will make you feel better, but I'm sorry," Tifa said to him, "I need to read this book."

"It will torture me to death is what it will do!" Red Wings stepped away from her and got closer to Lord Veer. "I should be thanking that book!"

"Why is he even here?" Ethiel became curious and worried. "No offense, but he doesn't seem to have a heart. He rather feels like a black sheep. Can we really trust him?"

"Let me answer that for you!" Red Wings snapped. "First of all – I don't wanna be here! Second – yes, I don't have a heart–"

"Lies," Tifa interrupted, eyes still fixed on her book.

"It's the truth! You don't know me little girl!"

"And you do?" She smiled, amused.

"ARGH! Talking to you is annoying!" He turned back to Ethiel. "And yes! You cannot trust me! If I were to have my way, I'd have you all burned to nothing. If it weren't for that sage... But I will get my powers back one day! And that day, you all will suffer!"

"Case in point." Ethiel sighed and looked at Lord Veer.

Lord Veer smiled, unaffected by anything that Red Wings said. "He is here because it's his curse. He cannot be too away from me for a long time. If that were to happen, he would experience the pain of his deepest nightmares."

Red Wings sniffed. "I have no nightmares."

"Curse? Even Mr. Tan mentioned something about that earlier... What curse are you talking about?"

"And so the time has come for you to know," he closed his eyes. "To begin with, Red Wings was once a fierce being, gifted with tremendous powers. He was gigantic, having flames that were unlike any other. Many innocent people and noble warriors lost their lives to him. He was feared greatly by everyone. Then one fateful day, he crossed paths with a noble, wise, and pure-hearted sage. The sage sacrificed all his powers and life to place upon him a curse that sealed away his powers. Red Wings shall regain his powers fivefold the day he becomes pure of heart. The curse was not limited to that. Red Wings was bound to stay with the Rulers of Koranga Kingdom. That is to imply, he has been with my ancestors, and now he is by my side. His actions and thoughts are always under the surveillance of the King and Queen of Koranga Kingdom. On the event he ever does anything wrong," Lord Veer looked at Red Wings.

Red Wings' face became pale.

"Better to not speak of it. So, he cannot betray us and will not betray us."

"I see," After hearing that, Ethiel couldn't believe his sister actually hugged a murderous bird. But then a doubt popped in his head. "So this was the sage's way to punish him for his crimes?"

"Maybe, but I don't think that way. The sage could have killed him that day, and if that had happened, he himself would have been alive."

"Then why didn't he?"

"He couldn't that's why!" Red Wings snapped again but was ignored.

"I'm not sure of that," Lord Veer continued. "But that sage was known for his wisdom that always did good for Anigma and its people. If this is what he decided, I'm sure he had a great reason for it. He was very wise and mindful of everything."

"Hmm, I see. And why did he decide to leave him under the care of the Koranga Rulers?"

"The sage perhaps believed the Rulers of Koranga to be the most benevolent and wise, hence the decision."

"Ah, should've guessed that."

"I don't know what he was thinking," Red Wings intervened again, "but to be near Veer and his likes is such a pain! Always so kind and sweet! Ugh!" He turned to Tifa, "Now you believe me?! I was once terrifying and–"

"You were. Not anymore." Tifa kept reading curiously.

"I am!"

"That's what you think. Now don't disturb me, I will hug you later."

"You are the most annoying little child I've ever met!! And I DO NOT want your HORRIFYING hugs!!" He returned to silence, frustrated and angry.

The silence remained briefly until they were closer to the destination. The cloud of butterflies started to descend, and Lord Veer rose up, his hammer ready in his hands.

"We will walk from here."