PART XXV

The eyes of the cave spirit were set on him for a while. Understanding that gaze was beyond Ethiel’s imagination. It didn't feel comfortable, especially the aeons of wisdom that reflected in them. If he were to make a guess, then perhaps the depth of his understanding of the vast infinity of mysteries lost in illusions of oblivion of mortal perception was being measured.

Letting that intimidate him wasn't something Ethiel neither allowed nor could afford; he maintained his composure and bravado and stood firmly.

The scrutinising gaze ended as the cave spirit blinked and the crystal above the pedestal started to glow brighter.

"What is the meaning of life?"

Like a bomb dropped the first question, exploding in Ethiel's heart and mind. That was a question not even the greatest minds were able to answer properly, Ethiel thought. For him, a sixteen year old boy who was terribly short on worldly experiences, answering such a deep question was out of the question. But he had to answer.

He gulped and his eyes started running all over involuntarily as he tried to come up with an acceptable answer.

When Tifa was narrating all the important things mentioned in the book their mother had left for them, she only said things about how the world came to be, that too only the gist of it rather than the detailed account which would've undoubtedly been several books by itself. There was no mention of any meaning of life but there was a consideration of life being a gift to all. He knew better than to believe that to be the answer since life was indeed a gift but much more than merely that.

All those contemplations that occupied his mind on observing his own life as well as of everyone and everything surfaced in his head and started to crystallise. With a heart filling with happiness, sorrow, courage, fear, excitement, nervosity, and every emotion, his mouth opened almost unconsciously.

"Life," he started, "is an adventure to embark on, it is a beauty to be praised, a challenge to be faced, a duty to be performed, and life is many things; it is love, a struggle, a promise, a game, a gift, a journey, a tragedy, a mystery, an opportunity, a goal, a puzzle, a song, a sorrow, a spirit to be realised. Life in its totality is something beyond what words can express, but I believe that in its essence, life is a spiral through all the good and all the bad, a spiral of ever-growing perfection and enlightenment towards a fulfilling salvation in which we are to impart to each other, love and knowledge, in order to receive the same. It is a complex evolution of what is within and without."

The answer came to an end.

A moment of silence made Ethiel pray and desperately wish he was right. The cave spirit finally nodded.

"Wow..." Tifa whispered behind.

That was no time to get all happy and excited though.

"What is the greatest wonder in this world? Why is it the greatest wonder?"

There came the second bomb of a question.

The answer wasn't the Pyramids of Egypt for their unexplained making or the Big Ben for being so majestic, he knew that much. He only knew of Earth and had only been introduced to Anigma very recently, and the question was about the world, the universe about which he knew so little.

Love came to his mind; it had always been regarded and considered to be unfathomable, a mysterious wonder who nobody could explain clearly. Maybe that was the answer he thought and presented it as a reply.

Disappointed, the cave spirit shook its head. A pang made his heart skip a beat.

Only two chances were left, and he was damn sure he needed those for the upcoming questions that were going to be harder.

He just stood there, trying to find the answer, paused in a pondering pose for almost an hour. None of his line of thoughts were taking him anywhere. The world had so much in it, seen and unseen. If he were to think of it all, even a lifetime would've fallen short. The thought of dying before finding the answer frightened him. Such a fear paralysed the gears of his mind. He wouldn't have been able to finish the quest and see his mother again if that were to happen. But then, he suddenly remembered that if he were to die, he would've gone to heaven and met his mother anyway.

That line of thought, it struck him hard like a bolt of lightning. His surprised eyes couldn't blink as he scrutinised it.

Finally, he blinked and looked at the spirit.

"Fear of death." He said. "Fear of death is the greatest wonder in this world I believe. Everyone know that their day to depart from the mortal plane shall arrive. They also know that death is the ultimate salvation and liberation which shall take them to heaven, closer to the divine. Despite this acknowledgement, mortals live in fear of death — most, if not all. Once they go to the higher plane, they descend again and the cycle begins yet again. Hence, this is my answer."

The spirit gave a nod.

Ethiel took a deep breath. However, the luxury of relief was still not affordable.

"Who are you?" The spirit floored him with that.

That question, it was the nightmare that haunted the philosophers of old and new — the question that caused existential crisis.