chapter 1.

-Laney! Let's go! We'll be late!- Erika, my foster mom, well, my mom now, I guess, says from the empty living room downstairs

-Coming!- I yell from upstairs.

Today, we're moving to New York. I've lived my whole life in this small city in North Carolina, and now, we're moving. It feels weird.

I take a last look at my bedroom. It is empty by now.

I live in a two store house with my mom, Erika, and dad, Harry. I've been living with them for a while now. My biological mom died giving birth, so I ended up in the Foster system, and by the age of 4, Erika and Harry took me in. Finally, they decided to adopt me.

My bags are kinda heavy, not gonna lie. I jump through the stairs and sit on my seat in the car. When all of our bags are in the trunk and we're all settled, dad pulls the engine. We talked for a while before my tired self feel the need to listen to music, so I put my headphones on until we get to the airport.

As the plane is about to go up, I feel my stomach flipping. I'm scared of heights. I feel Erika's warm arms around me. I look at her. She is smiling. That sweet, conforting smile only a few people have.

-It's ok, sweetheart. We're here with you. We love you so, so much.- I notice dad's hand squeezing mine's in agreement. I smile back at them. I love them. They're my parents.

As soon as the plane got stabilized in the air, I relaxed a little and pulled my computer out of my handbag. It's at least a one and a half hour flight, so I have some time.

////

I wake up with mom calling me awake. I hadn't even noticed I had fallen asleep.
I strolled up to the airport, and to be honest, it feels really like New York.

Mom and dad get our stuff, and we go outside to get a taxi. Gosh, that's a big ass city.

-Dad, can we stop by Times Square? I really wanna see it.- I ask him with puppy eyes. I know he's easier to convince than mom.

He looks over at her, talking through their eyes. I always thought it was amazing how they were so connected that they could communicate without saying a word. At the end, he nods his head in agreement, and I let go of a small squeal in excitement.

The taxi dropped us off. And, wow, this is huge. The lights are almost blinding me, quite literally!

-Hey, mom, look at that!- I point at the big billboard, looking back at her

She's distracted by something else, but I can't tell what. Her expression is scared. I look around. I've been in New York before, but it looks like a normal day for everyone there. Nothing too alarming.

-We better go, baby...- She says, pulling me in her arms. By now, I'm starting to get scared

-But, why? Isn't it so cool in here and-

I heard someone screaming in horror. Mom gets in front of me as we all hear a loud sound coming from the other side.

Dad pulls us to the opposite direction, but I feel a sharp pain in my belly. Shoot, it really hurts. Mom let go of a scream, which makes me worried and overwhelmed. Mom is always so calm, so it must be pretty bad if that is her reaction.

She trips and takes me with her. I feel weak and scared, but at least she's here with me. Dad tries to pull us back up. He couldn't. He just couldn't. I don't know why, but he couldn't. I thought he was strong. I thought Mom was strong. But, apparently, I'm not as weak as I thought.

Yesterday, I woke up with them at our sweet home. Today, I woke up all by myself in a strange place. My whole body hurts, but where it hurts the most is the little memorie inside my head. Each memorie of us. I feel like my body is tightning over me, like it is too small for everything that I have. I don't think I can stand it. Not for much long.

They're gone. And I'm here. I'm never going to find the sweet smile and warm arms to be in. I'll never be able to find their eyes, their hand when we're on flights or high places.

How could I even be here, still? What is even my purpose?

A/n
This chapter is mostly to show how was Laney's life. Tye next chapter, she'll be meeting Scarlett. Maybe, even a Scarlett Point of View. Who knows.

Ok, so, that is my first story in english. It may be really bad, but we'll discover with  time, I guess.
It would be really helpful If you give your opinion. It can be on how I'm writing it, or how the story is going.

And, just to finish, when I write something wrong, I ask you, if it isn't a problem, comments what is the right form.
Yeah, that it. Hope you enjoy it