Chapter XXIV: A Mandatory Search

~24~

What happened next is rather hard to explain, even as the writer of these cumbersome events. A thunderstruck moment of silence ensued where, for the first time since child and medical man became acquainted, Lorienne Eve Lambert and Doctor Aleksandr Garin wore identical expressions of stupefied surprise. The handsome diamond glinting jewel flickered and taunted their stupid little faces with abandon. It was some time before either of its admirers batted an eye or shut their gaping jaws.

At last, the frosty palm of reality smacking them upside the head, man and child said in unison: "What is the meaning of this?!"

No one seemed bothered by their tone and laughed, continuing their incessant chatted.

"I never thought he'd have considered me!"

"You and I both, girl!" cried Garin, swivelling his head this way and that as if expecting some saviour to emerge from the ladened pantry or shadowy lazy-Susan.

"Saw how often he took you for walks?" someone teased Anne.

"What lies!" cried an indignant, red-faced Lori, her thoughts on pillaging forgotten. "Mama'll be furious—Garin? Garin! Where are you going?"

The man made no reply as he hurried through the house, putting his nose into each room he passed. He met Alice Flynn, her dainty array of curls casting a shadow over her features as she halted on the stairs. Her countenance was melancholic, but in an almost peaceful sense of the word.

"Hello, doctor." She took a moment to gaze at the light folds of her dress. "Today appears to be one of rotten luck, doesn't it?"

"My dear Miss Flynn, you've heard then?"

She sighed and made a faint waving gesture.

"I suppose it doesn't matter now, does it? I've just spoken with Mrs. Lambert, who was pleasant enough considering the circumstances."

"I must have a word with Wade. Have you seen—?"

Alice burst into tears before he finished his inquiry and disappeared from his sight.

"Oh dear," the doctor muttered before heading toward the library. There he found Ellyn Poe, her hair, like bands of sunshine, done in the familiar French braid. She stared for a moment, her mouth opening and closing like an abandoned fish on the shore before giving a matter-of-fact shrug. She continued her slow pacing, shaking her head from time to time.

Garin took a hesitant step forward.

"Miss Poe...?"

"I'd say I felt disappointed, only it'd be untrue of me because I really don't think I am," she said coolly, stopping to gaze at the high ceilings and the intricate crown mouldings.

"What right have I to obstruct someone's choice? Hmm? Love is very much like war, wouldn't you say? The opponent with the best tactic is likely to win and with cunning strategising, she's outplayed me!"

"I see..."

"I've got to respect the girl!"

She shook her head as though shocked at her own behaviour.

"But I was never one to dwell on my failures, doctor. Where there's one chance, there's certainly another and I'll bear it all gracefully if I can—my uncle's a general, you know. A pity I can't give some of my inner strength to Alice—the poor girl will be miserable." Shaking her head, she curtsied before sweeping by and going on her way (towards the kitchens, no doubt).

She stopped, half turning and said with a hopeful note in her voice,

"You'll convince them to invite me to the wedding, won't you? I'd hate to miss out on the cake..."

Garin, unable to respond before her rustling dress was gone, was relieved when he saw Lori gesticulating to him from the window.

"Garin! Garin! Mama's in the study!"

Mrs. Lambert stood watching the swaying leaves from the window. Her serene look did not falter when Lori, with the pride of an elephant, appeared in front of her with every freckle looking as if they'd jump off of her nose and cheeks.

"Mama! There's madness going on out there! If Wade should marry that girl, I'll never speak to him again!"

Garin entered the room and looked around almost desperately.

"Forgive my intrusion Mrs. Lambert—"

"Ah, Garin!" She swept over to him with a gentle smile. "You've always been more than welcome at Idleworth Manor." She sniffed before dabbing at the corner of her eyes. "It feels only yesterday you helped my precious girl recover from typhus fever—and everything you've done for my Wade..."

"Think nothing of it," Garin said, taking advantage of her recovery to get her attention.

"I—We," he rephrased, catching Lori's menacing glare, "need to have a word with Wade."

Mrs. Lambert smiled, then shook her head.

"Don't bother him just now. They're having a moment—at last."

"But Mama she isn't—"

"Of course, Mrs. Lambert."

He gave Lori an expressive look, to which she responded with a pout and grumpy huff.

"Let's hurry and find him before I explode, Garin," Lori whispered when her mother moved towards the door.

"I've found those books you sent for, Mrs. Lambert and—oh!" Miss Brightley in her airy blue dress, that seemed to make a mockery of them just then, Garin thought, halted at the door, her ivory arms piled high with books.

Her usually sad eyes scanned the faces present with a strange glow. She smiled.

"Hello, Doctor Garin and—Oh! Lori, what a grip you have!"

"I am so sorry, Idrie!"

"Lori, please don't start one of your dramatic acts today," her mother scolded as Garin relieved Miss Brightley of her book load.

She ran her hands over Lori's now dishevelled hair.

"What's the matter, dearest?"

"Lori, could I have a word with Miss Brightley?"

"Oh, yes, Garin, please do. This must be the most unfortunest moment of all our lives!"

***

"She's quite a character," said Miss Brightley as they stepped into the parlour.

"Quite an imagination she has. Take this morning, for example: she was comparing herself to a butterfly out of a cocoon and a fat-bellied toad during a rain—cheerful things, I suppose? Now she's in tears and proclaiming doom on Idleworth Manor."

She laughed, but it was somewhat forced, and how she avoided making eye contact did not go unnoticed by the doctor.

"Really, she overdramatizes things—"

Garin took her hands, giving her a sympathetic look.

"Miss Brightley?"

The young woman stiffened for a moment, her gaze fixed on their polished floors.

"Yes?"

"Where is Lambert?"

She blinked several times.

"Wade? Why, he's in the morning room with Lisabeth—"

With a nod, he squeezed her hands and left the room with her storm-grey eyes on his departing back.

____________________________________________

Things just keep getting better and better for me!

The suspense, tension and confusion just add delectable flair to the entire situation! Now we're off to find Lambert himself!

So looking forward to seeing where this all leads, are you?

Don't forget to VOTE!