Chapter III: The Selection with A Dash of Salt

Eight heads sat at the dinner table at Idleworth Manor two weeks later, and the happiest of all heads belonged to Mrs. Lambert. And why shouldn't it be? Her son was to pair with one of the three women round her table-an admirable prospect in her eyes!

Narrowing her selection of prospective brides proved a tedious task, since Wade had somehow managed to charm almost every girl in Harwickshire!-a rumour he wholeheartedly denied. The number of his admirers was no surprise to the lady of Idleworth Manor; her son was dashing, charming when he pleased, and would soon possess a hefty fortune due to his generous late uncle Wallace, to whom the boy had been a favourite. However, she ignored those desperate girls with their sweet smiles and played deaf to their whispered praises whenever she was in earshot as she strolled through the market. She feigned surprise whenever they made it their business to bring a fresh loaf or flawless goose when she was in. Mrs. Lambert, (like many mothers who pride the wellbeing of their sons) saw straight through their charitable deeds. Despite this, she accepted their offerings with a gracious smile, turning a blind eye to their well-starched dresses and handsome manners. She remained indifferent to the wistful gazes that followed Wade whenever he went by without a care in his little world of happenings. Observing all of this while pretending not to, she sent them away with a kind word, certain some fool would eventually come along to coax them from her son's feet.

Mr. Lambert occupied the seat at the head of the table, pleased that his wife, now with her hair fastened at the nape, had chosen the chair to his left-a promising sign, as any husband would agree. To his right sat Doctor Garin, a broad-chested gentleman with startling eyes of Topaz blue, who avoided the attentive gaze of Ellyn Poe, a golden-haired lady who smirked in his direction from her side of the table. Fortunately, Miss Lori Lambert, a charming nine-year-old, kept the atmosphere light with her comical grimaces, making it a challenge for anyone to maintain a serious demeanour. Alice Flynn, a petite, milk-skinned brunette, sat at Wade Lambert's left, with an adoring look on her face. Lastly, Idrielle Brightley, her grey eyes appearing sadder than usual, occupied the space between the doctor and Miss Flynn.

Such were the select few gathered at the Lambert's dinner table.

"Could we have dessert first, Mama?" the child began again in a sing-song voice, having gotten bored with entertaining the doctor. "Please, could we? Especially since the girls have come? Just something sweet and white because I only like sweet and white things."

"That, my dear, is something I'll never agree to," Mrs. Lambert replied. "But once you've finished your supper, then you may have whatever sweet and white things Ruth has in the kitchen," she added in a lighter tone.

Being one that did not like to settle, Lori crossed her arms and pouted.

"I don't want any supper because I don't like it."

"How can you say that if you haven't even tasted it yet?" said young Lambert in a tone of idle curiosity and amusement.

"I have seen it and it looks ick!" she said, scrunching up her nose in a manner so familiar to the occupants of Idleworth, but which left the three ladies shocked, concerned, and quietly amused.

Mrs. Lambert watched her son for a sign of his being drawn to any of the girls she picked out for him. There had been no obvious spark between any of them when the earlier introductions were made, (though Alice Flynn had blushed redder than anything when he complimented her eyes). This did not surprise Mrs. Lambert, since Wade never occupied his time with the weaker sex of which she was glad; he'd been a meddlesome boy, often winning hearts (among other things) solely for amusement, only to leave a girl distraught when he'd later profess she'd misinterpreted his attentions. She consoled herself with the notion that he'd grow out of it. But his unfavourable habits worsened as he grew and they could no longer look upon his actions as the mere incompetence of a boy. Neither she nor his father could hold him, and in no time she settled on the idea that none but a firm wife could-and the sooner the better!