Chapter XVII: Wade's Request

Well dressed as always, Wade Lambert, made a handsome impression leaning there in the doorway, a delicate tray in hand. He offered the company his famous half-smile, which, despite his tired eyes, never failed to charm hearts.

"I hope it isn't too much to have a visitor?"

"Of course not!" cried Lizzy before either her sister or the doctor could say anything. "How can anyone refuse my saviour and Idrie's dashing friend?"

There was no mistaking the elder Brightley's rising colour as her sister threw her a playful look. Lambert erupted into a merry laugh.

"Dashing you say? Well, I confess I'm flattered, Miss Brightley."

Lisabeth extended her hand in Wade's direction, and he kissed it with a boyish air that made her laugh.

"I never got to properly thank you, Mr. Lambert. It was foolish of me to go out on a day when the sky couldn't look any madder, but you know what they say: the reckless live the best lives, though I'm sure Idrie disapproves wholeheartedly—the doctor too, I suppose," she added, catching the doctor's stern, if not disapproving gaze. "How you do remind me of Uncle Edward!" And she laughed once more, only, to Garin's annoyance, Wade seemed to find it just as humorous and laughed along with her.

Garin set about plumping the cushions behind Lisabeth's head.

"It will not do to have you over-exert yourself, Miss Brightley. If you don't mind, Wade," this with an austere look for the young man, "I'll have to ask you to leave my patient to rest."

"Of course, of course!"

Wade gave him a slow, disarming smile.

"I only wanted to help where I can and wished to invite Miss Brightley to breakfast with me." He grinned wider at the man's raised brow and turned to the lady in question. "And perhaps take a turn in the garden afterwards if you're feeling so inclined."

Garin stared at his friend with an intensity that might have made a buzzing bee reconsider approaching a blossoming flower while Wade, (with much amusement on his part) returned this scrutiny with an almost curious glint in his eye.

What went unsaid between the two men was not to be understood by the opposite sex (just as the silent going-ons between women is seldom easily interpreted by men) and it must be admitted that neither woman acknowledged this muted exchange (though something Lori said reminded the elder Miss Brightley of it later in the day).

At last, (which was only a couple of seconds) Garin gave a curt nod before Wade returned his attention to Lisabeth.

"I hope you don't mind my stealing your sister away for an hour or so, Miss Brightley. Lori misses her playmate and says she hadn't come down to breakfast yet. I learnt only recently she's barely eaten since you came."

"You poor dear! Idrie, I insist you go take your meals immediately. No-no-no, I will not hear anything else. I am well enough, just a tad sore and the fever's only a mild one now, thanks to the doctor. Now go. You must look well when father comes."

"I must agree with my patient, Miss Brightley," came Garin's unhurried tone as he retrieved his bag.

"You barely tended to yourself since you took on the responsibility of nurse. I don't want to think that against my sensible reasoning, I've encouraged you to fall ill yourself. Though I must admit you've been a fine assistant."

Lisabeth reached for her sister's hands and peered into her face.

"Now I am worried, doctor. She looks... a trifle pale."

"Lizzy, I'm fine—"

Lisabeth shook her head.

"I will not hear of it. Doctor Garin will give you a quick check-up and then you'll join Mr. Lambert for breakfast and sunshine. And I won't see you till afternoon tea. That is final. Doctor?"