Chapter XVII: Echoes of Change

Lisabeth's presence added a new colour to Idleworth for many reasons; Lori, happy as a daisy in spring, now had a project to spy on and entertain her since Lisabeth, unlike her sister, not only listened to the somewhat silly, if not exaggerated opinions of the nine-year-old intellectual, but also engaged with a similar childish energy. Mr. Lambert was glad of the constant companionship of Mr. Brightley, who often came to Idleworth 'to comfort his silly firefly.' Raymond Lambert felt a surge of relief when Wade reverted to his somewhat usual self, joining him for a game of bridge most evenings when he didn't seek amusement elsewhere. Mrs. Lambert, despite the welcome return of Alice Flinn and Ellyn Poe, was bubbling to find how often her son devoted his time to the Brightleys.

"It's happening, Raymond," she said, one evening before bed. "He's attentive to those two—and not an ounce of nonsense out of him for weeks! Where Lori was trouble at home, Wade was trouble everywhere else!"

"I have noticed, my dear," replied her husband, examining his beard and moustache (Mr. Lambert prided himself on his well-groomed facial hair). "He's been quite courteous in taking Miss Brightley around the grounds in her wheelchair on her sister's behalf; you seldom find the three apart."

He chuckled.

"Little Lori has benefitted most handsomely too. Engaging company does her well and the elder Miss Brightley possesses a firm hand and manages to keep her in check."

"Yes," said Mrs. Lambert, staring out the window. "And since Miss Lisabeth came, her sister appears... healthier? I'm uncertain how to phrase it but there is something different in her. She doesn't seem as sad as she'd been when she arrived. I wonder what led to their close bond..."

"The loss of their mother, perhaps? The elder Miss Brightley does take on a motherly aura where her sister and Lori are concerned. Reminds me faintly of my sister Gladys. Lori would have loved her too, I reckon, but needless to say, she benefits thoroughly from the young ladies' company, wouldn't you agree?"

She did indeed, and Lori (if asked by anyone but her mother) would admit that it wasn't too trying to be a dutiful girl and even learnt to complete her piano, embroidery, calligraphy, and reading (her once least favourite subject) lessons without complaints or lectures from her mother. And she and Wade took turns with Lisabeth in reading her favourite poems while the elder Miss Brightley (the mother of the three) listened as she did her sewing or basket weaving. Quite often, the doctor, on his calls past the manor, witnessed the picturesque scene and smiled at the gay laughter that dusted the midmorning or afternoon air.

Alice Flinn, after a single meeting, admitted she liked Lisabeth Brightley very much and even Ellyn Poe considered her 'a charming bunny'. The staff of the household wouldn't have disagreed with Ellyn; they welcomed Lisabeth's compliments and praises with relish whenever she thought something delicious. She charmed old Foster and the rather absent-minded Rose with her girlish nature and impressed Mrs. Lambert with her abundant knowledge of Parisian fashion, her love of the arts, and admirable taste for finery. With a natural ease, Lisabeth teased her sister mercilessly when the time suited her, despite retiring to her room early in the day from exhaustion with the elder Brightley trailing behind. Wade, with a devotedness that thrilled his mother, spent countless evenings in the company of the elder Miss Brighltey, their whispered conversations lasting long into the night. Lori (for the sake of being Lori) bragged to any willing ear (mostly her father's) of how pleasant Wade could be when he didn't choose to spend his time with a certain Mr. Dinkins.

***

"I've a secret for you, Foster."

The child's grave air surprised the butler, her freckled nose looking a trifle more frecklish than usual. She'd adopted her mother's severe tone and sat with her dainty, yet fidgety hands interlaced and not a hair was out of place.

A secret?"

"Indeed," she said tersely. "And you're not to tell a soul—especially not that prattling liar, Anne." She gave him a dark look, to which he bowed slightly with the utmost respect.

It was common knowledge at Idleworth that Anne had accused her of devouring the butterscotch buttons during one of Mrs. Lambert's important tea parties. (Lori could never forgive her for such a slight since she hadn't tasted a single one of those butterscotch buttons. She'd given them to the neighbour's fat tabby, after all!)

Satisfied with Foster's devotion, she straightened herself and said in a serious tone,

"My brother is in love. I'm certain of it. And I am going to be the only bridesmaid at the wedding."

Whether the secret was the fact that Wade was in love or her being the only bridesmaid, Foster did not venture to ask, nor did he have the chance before she flew at him with one of her impulsive hugs and screamed at the top of her lungs, "I am so happy I could burst!" and bolted away in an eruption of giggles that left him smiling and slightly concerned for the child's sanity.

____________________________________________

Did you get that? Because I know I did! What news, what news! Wade Lambert 'IN LOVE'!! 💖💖

What fine gossip this will make for the front page! But of course, every sensible reporter must check their facts 😉😉

(Sigh)

All this snooping about is paying off handsomely. I suppose I can't despise that stiff-bottomed author too much for making me do all the work...

I can almost taste my bonus! 🤤 💰

Show you're as thrilled as I am by leaving a lovely ✨⭐ VOTE ⭐✨