Chapter XV: A Stormy Occurrence at Idleworth

When Doctor Garin arrived at the manor, the wind had changed to a shuddering howl that threatened to throw one off their feet. Being neither light nor small, it was a trivial matter for him, and he enjoyed the pushes and pulls of the violent tempered weather.

"Lovely evening, isn't it, Foster?"

The butler took his coat in his reserved fashion as he stepped into the grandiose foyer. He gave the doctor a slight nod.

"Indeed, sir. However, I must inform you that Mrs. Lambert hopes you've met Master Wade along the road, as he's yet to return to the estate."

Garin turned sharply to look at the butler before turning on his heels and making his way to the drawing room. Mrs. Lambert, her black tresses pinned atop her head and a hideous purple and black shawl wrapped about her shoulders, stared morosely into the fire. Standing near the window, Miss Brightley's charming profile seemed to be filled with a lingering sadness intensified by the long shadows shading the corner of the room. Mr. Lambert, his expensive red cravat slightly askew, was, besides his daughter, the most composed and came over to shake the doctor's hand.

"You've seen him I hope, Garin? That runaway of ours has crossed your path, yes? Mrs. Lambert's quite anxious, but I'm sure you'll set matters straight."

"I've only just come from my last call on Mr. Fletchwater, sir. I haven't crossed paths with Wade but-"

"What did I tell you? If Garin hasn't seen him, he's up to no good!" And with all her willpower, she set her jaw and glared at a stately vase near the window.

He's gone because of Idrie, Mama."

All heads turned in Lori's direction. Even Miss Brightley stifled a gasp and pulled her focus from the fire to stare at the girl.

Lori, still in good humour since she decided not to take the situation as badly as her mother, yanked the knots from her doll's head with a rather savage force.

"What's that Lori?" said Mr. Lambert.

"Why, he hurried away after sending Idrie to have some tea, didn't he?" This was with a glance at Foster. "I know something was bothering you all day," she said, now turning to Miss Brightley. "You showed him your letter, and since you were so upset, I think he went to make sure your sister wasn't lost somewhere along the road. He didn't mention anything to me, mind you, but he had that look he wore when he went to look for Apple Dutch. Found him mangled by some stray dogs-poor thing-He was my cat, you see and-"

Garin cleared his throat, noting Miss Brightley had turned a pale shade of green.

"I hadn't finished what I was saying earlier."

He gave Lori a reproachful look before returning his focus to the grown ups.

"Wade asked me to tell you all not to wait on him, as he'll be running late."

"So! That's it then? You've gotten word from him after all. That makes me feel much better, Garin."

Mrs. Lambert sighed (a relieved one, at that) then quickly suggested they all go to dinner.

"I'd have stoned those mongrels that did away with my Apple Dutch, you know," said Lori, eyeing her doll's head with a scrupulous gaze. "But Wade made me promise not to, especially since I wouldn't know which one did it. Daddy made him a gravestone in the garden to make me feel better and I talk to him sometimes... Do you think I ought to cut her hair off, Daddy? She doesn't take good care of it as my other dolls do their own..."

As everyone disappeared from the room (Lori being the happiest since she couldn't fathom why supper had to be late in the first place), Miss Brightley drew Garin aside.