Chapter IX: And The Charmed

Aleksandr Garin glanced thoughtfully at his friend who reclined on the sofa, his eyes transfixed on the fire. This was a puzzling occurrence to the doctor, who wondered what could be responsible for this unusual silence that ensued since he sat down. Usually, upon visiting Garin's handsome apartments, the young man ran through all the particulars of his day with precise detail, from what he had for breakfast to who he met on the road on his final stretch homeward. He'd end off by saying, 'You're a good sport, Garin with all Russian blood. Let's have a game of cards and some of your quality vodka..."

This was how the doctor mostly received him, but today, there was something 'serious' on the boy's mind, and he wondered if he did not already know what it was.

Eventually Lambert was on his feet walking from one part of the room to the next and still the doctor said nothing.

Tact was quite the way of Doctor Garin and his English mother always claimed he owed that to his father's side of the family since hers was of the gabbing stock who said what they willed when they saw fit. But of course, there could be no proof of the matter. His father had been a true Russian and though his mother did not always agree nor understand their ways, she respected her late husband's family as her own, never forgetting to share her 'Lexi' with the other relatives. As a result (not to mention the many payers on her part!) he turned out better than any of them had expected. His aunt on his father's side sanctioned him 'good blood after all' (she'd been opposed to his parents' marriage from the start!). And grandmother on his mother's side confessed that 'they hadn't ruined him after all.'

A sanctimonious satisfaction on both sides.

Wade Lambert stopped at last and glared at his friend.

"Oh, come now, Aleksandr, say something! You remind me of my mother staring at me like that."

Wade never used the doctor's first name unless he was in a serious fix and Garin eyed him for a minute before opening a lower cabinet and retrieving a bottle and crystal glasses. He poured brandy for them both.

"Nearly a week has passed since your picnic with Miss Brightley."

"And what of it?" Wade snapped with a touch of impatience.

"You were irritable after the races with Miss Flynn-"

"I lost a heavy wager! Of course I was upset."

"You were more than agreeable after horseback riding with Miss Poe."

"Lori gave us all quite a laugh and the weather couldn't have been better."

Garin, in a slow, methodical fashion, began arranging the instruments on his desk.

"Time with Miss Brightley, however, appeared to have affected you in an entirely different light."

Wade shook his glossy head that seemed to glow near the firelight and began the intense process of filling his pipe. He waved it at Garin when the doctor watched with an impassive expression.

"A new hobby I'm taking up because blokes like you enjoy butting into my business. Don't give me that look. It's an excellent stress reliever!"

"You're puzzled about something."

"Really, Aleksy, now's not the time for your wise observances."

Wade, setting aside his pipe which he'd not bother to light, thrust his hands into his trouser pockets with an annoyed air about him.

"I thought this whole marriage business would be a simple affair!"

Garin nodded as he sealed the brandy bottle. He moved over, offering a glass to his friend.