Chapter 4. The Training

The Next Morning:

"The Demon Slayer Corps, their members are in a few hundreds, are an organization unrecognized by the government, though nobody knows who leads this band of demon hunters, still shrouded in mystery...

Demon,
Staple food,
Humans.

Demons kill humans to consume their flesh and blood to get more powerful, they can heal themselves at anytime they want, even limbs hacked off can be regenerated. Some demons possess other-worldly abilities such as changing their entire body structure.

The Demon Slayers being humans do not possess the ability to heal themselves instantly.
Injuries take a long time to recover, and lost limbs will never regrow, even so. The Demon Slayers continue to hunt demons with their mortal bodies to protect humanity.

I, am a cultivator and by what the name suggests, I cultivate swordsmen.
There are many other kinds of cultivators in a variety of locations who use different techniques to train swordsmen"

Sakonji explains to Tanjiro

"And now, your training begins. Tanjiro Tsugikuni"

Sakonji Urokodaki begins Tanjiro's training for the Final Selection, the test for those wishing to join the corps. His training begins with navigation of a mountain riddled with booby-traps, dry sword swings, waterfall immersion, and breathing techniques. Though, Tanjiro is having difficulty mastering the breathing style as his body is more suited to Sun Breathing, he can still use water breathing forms. Nezuko has been asleep for 6 months, not waking up once. Tanjiro was scared, he didn't want to lose his only family, he continued to train harder and harder.

After 7 months of training.

"Tanjiro, you've far exceeded my expectations. Everything I taught you, you immediately learned it, I shall now allow you to join the final selection, though. Promise me, you'll return back alive."
Sakonji said with a proud tone.

"I promise, Urokodaki-san."
Tanjiro said.

"This old man along with your sister will be waiting for you here my boy."
Urokodaki tears up behind his mask and hugs Tanjiro.

They then return home.

Sakonji is preparing a hotpot.

"Urokodaki-san! What's the occasion? There's so much food."
Tanjiro asked with a cheerful tone.

"You've completed your training, we're celebrating. Now eat up!"
He says as he pours soup into a bowl and hands it to Tanjiro

As Tanjiro starts eating.

Tanjiro, you'll face many hardships from now on, though I can just do as much to help you have a normal night for once.
Sakonji thought to himself.

As Tanjiro was going back to sleep

"Tanjiro, take this."
Sakonji hands him a fox mask of some sort

"Urokodaki-san what is this?"
Tanjiro asked with surprise.

"It's a talisman, to protect you from bad luck, I give it to all of my students."
Sakonji said.

"Ah! Thank you."
Tanjiro thanked him as he went to sleep.

And then, the day which decides his future, is tomorrow.

486 words...

Author's note - Thank you for reading this.