Chapter 13

Ayyan's pov:

"This life is crazy, But it led me to your love, If you call on me forever I will come, No matter what, baby, The only
thing I'm certain of"

I lay on the couch, immersed in memories, gazing at a photo of Safiya and me from our childhood when we were ten. It was her birthday, and my mind wandered back to that moment when she suggested, "Ayyan, let's burn the crackers." I hesitated, a bit terrified, and responded, "I feared this," tears welling up in my eyes.

Safiya noticed my unease and sat down beside me, asking with concern, "Are you crying!?" I met her gaze, and she continued, "Don't tell me it's because of the crackers." Gently, she placed her hand on my arms, reassuring me, "It's okay, don't cry." With a warm smile, she added, "It isn't that scary." Safiya's comforting presence made the world feel a little less intimidating, a memory etched in time.

With a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, she quipped, "Come on, Ayyan, it's just crackers. They're like tiny fireworks trying to impress us." Her playful words and infectious laughter had the desired effect, and despite my initial fears, a genuine smile crept onto my face.

"Ayyan, yeh crackers toh humare ghar ke superheroes hain. Dekhna, sabko dhamakedaar lagegi!" I, still a bit sceptical, replied, "Par yeh bohot loud hote hain!"

She grinned mischievously, "Bilkul, Ayyan, maine socha hai. Humare pass hai... earphones! Hum sab earphones pehn lenge, aur humare crackers woh secret mission pe nikal jayenge."

Trying not to burst into laughter, I played along, "Earphones? Haan wahi to ab humko protect karengi!"

Safiya added, "Aur agar koi humare crackers ko challenge kare, hum bolenge, 'Chhodo, humare crackers ke paas earphones hain, woh sunte nahi!'"

Little did we know that these silly conversations would become cherished memories, etched in the laughter-filled corners of our childhood.

I glanced at the picture of Safiya and me from New Year's Eve, captured by our best photographer, Khushi. It brought a smile to my face, a moment frozen in time. The doorbell interrupted my thoughts, and as I opened the door, there stood Safiya. "Oh Safiya, bahot din baad," I greeted her happily, realizing how time slipped away it's been quite a long time since I saw her, when you get old it's difficult to meet your friends I feel like.

"I was walking by, thought to meet you. It's been a month since we saw each other. Do you even miss me?" she asked with a playful pout. I chuckled at her innocence, for little did she know how much I thought about her. She is, my favourite person after all.

"No, I didn't miss you," I teased her, and she sat on the couch, retorting, "Whatever, my friend, don't miss me, but I do. So, I brought some cheesecake for you." I smiled and sat next to her, taking a bite. She did the same. "I thought this was for me," I teased her. With a shocked expression and cheesecake in her mouth, she exclaimed, "Haww, Ayyan, since when you became stingy, kanjoos?"

"Tum jo aaye meri zindagi mein, hum kanjoos ban gaye," I replied, and she playfully hit me on my chest, laughter filling the room. But then, she turned a bit serious, "I don't know what's going on with you, but you can talk to me anytime. You just isolated yourself for a month." With a soft smile, she added, "There is nothing I can't do for my best friend."

As she spoke those words, I struggled with the unspoken truth, the love I felt for her extended beyond friendship.

"Your name means 'Gift of God,'" Safiya remarked, her words hanging in the air. I couldn't help but reply, "I don't think I'm any gift from God." The self-doubt lingered, wondering why Safiya wouldn't love me the way she had a crush on Fahad.