Chapter "SHARED DESTINY 2"

Both Hunter and Rafe continued so size each other up from across the room. They stood there just glaring and growling low at each other. As usual neither one of them willing to be the first to back down. Time past as they stood in this dramatic display of power, both of their auras began to glow as their powers started to leak from them. They were the two most dangerous men in the supernatural world.

"Are you two going to talk, or just continue with this silent pissing contest." This sarcastic comment came from Hunter's father. The only one in the mansion brave enough or just foolish enough to intervene. He had returned to the family room knowing that Hunter and Rafe were more likely to try and kill each other, than talk. They both growled at him. He refused to be intimidated. "You two need to remember that both Cameron and Liam are upstairs sleeping. Waking them up and getting them both upset at the sight of you two trying to kill each other is not a good idea." He continued as neither of them showed any signs of relenting.

These words seemed to do the trick. Both Hunter and Rafe slowly pulled in their power and calmed down the beasts raging within them. Their eyes returned to normal and their breathing evened out. Hunter's father gave out a sigh of relief at the pending disaster that was just averted. He looked at them both assessingly, "Now if I'm not mistaken, you both have a vested interest in the welfare and well being of both Cameron and Liam. Now you both need to sit down and talk." His voice was stern, broking no arguments.

"Hunter, it's been ten years since you've seen your mate. You need to know what he's been through. You have a lot to make up for with him and regain his trust in you and your relationship. I believe that Rafe can provide you with a lot of the answers that you need."

Hunter turned away at these truths from his father. "You're right." Taking a deep breath Hunter said "Rafe we need to talk about Cameron and what's happened since he left." These words were hard for Hunter to express. It grated on his very last nerve that he may have a lot to thank Rafe for, but he knew he had to listen. If he ever hoped to repair his relationship with Cameron he had to know what he's been through over the last ten years, and Rafe was the only one with the answers.

Hunter's father gave his back one last long look before saying, "Ok. I'll leave you two to talk then." He cut his eyes to Rafe and narrowed them at him, "Behave. Don't taunt him unnecessarily and please don't twist the knife that is already in his gut. " Rafe inclined his head respectfully to Hunter's father, "For you, I will control my natural urges." His voice was solemn. Hunter's father held his stare for a long moment before nodding and leaving the room, closing the door softly behind him.

............................................................

Rafe stared at Hunter's back, realizing that Hunter wasn't going to be the one to break the heavy silence that had descended after his father left, Rafe took a deep breath and began. "I met Cameron while he was on the run from assassins." Hunter stiffened at these words, Ares pushing forward, but he didn't interrupt Rafe. He needed to hear this, he needed to know everything.

"A few days after Cameron left you someone made an attempt on his life for the first time. He was lucky to escape with his life. The attempts to kill him increased and got more insistent as the weeks passed. Some how he managed to stay one step ahead of them, but barely. He made his way to Italy and that’s were we met after he was once again attacked. He managed to once again escape from his attackers. Apparently the baby's powers were manifesting themselves early. Liam, from within the womb was able to channel his powers through Cameron. Using it to protect them both and aiding in Cameron's escape. He didn't escape without being badly wounded this time however. His advance state of pregnancy hindering him. That's what led me to him, the scent of his blood. He had managed to somehow find his way unto my property and was hiding out in a small cabin there. Luckily I was in residence at the time and the scent of his blood drifted to me on the wind. When I found him he was bleeding badly. But that wasn't the worst of it. The attack on him and the shock from his injury and all the stress of the previous weeks had sent him into early labour."

A choked sob escaped Hunter at this. His back was still turned towards Rafe. Every word out of Rafe's mouth cutting into him. But he didn't interrupt him, he didn't try and stop him. He had to know.

"During the operation to both save his life and that of the baby, Cameron slipped into a coma. The pregnancy had drained him, the baby was too powerful for his human body and it had taken it's toll on him. Coupled with running from people trying to kill him, it was a wonder that he survived and found his way to me." Rafe paused as he recalled the many weeks of caring for a new born and worrying about Cameron's recovery. After collecting his thoughts and composing himself he continued on.

"It took many weeks for Cameron to recover and regain his strength after he woke up. During that time while they were most vulnerable I cared for both Liam and Cameron myself. I couldn't trust anyone with them. From what he told me about the attacks, I realized that who ever was behind them knew him and knew about his involvement with you. They knew that he was your mate and that the baby was yours. I've spent the last ten years using my powers to shield and protect them both." Rafe finished.

Hunter said nothing. He just stood there and allowed the words to take hold. His thoughts were in turmoil,  as pain surged through him at all that his mate and son had been through. The fact that he hadn't been the one to protect and care for them cut him the deepest. As his thoughts raced, he realized that if not for Rafe both Cameron and his son would have been killed.

He turned to Rafe finally and asked, "What happened to Liam?" He dreaded hearing the answer.

Rafe stared at Hunter a moment noting the look of pure anguish in his eyes and on his face. "The attacks on both of their lives haven't stopped. The person behind it always manages to find us, despite my efforts. They've used both human and supernatural assassins. I suspect that one of them may have gotten under our guard and did something to Liam. We just don't know what they did to him or what they gave him."

"Why didn't you bring him to me sooner?" Hunter rasped out.

"Cameron wasn't ready to face you. My trusted people did everything to try and figure out how to cure him without having to involve you. When he was faced with no other alternative I managed to convince to bring Liam to you. I know that you're the only one that can save Liam." Rafe stared at Hunter, his worry for Liam clearly evident on his face and in his eyes.

Hunter scrubbed his hands harshly over his face and gripped them in his hair. He threw his head back and growled deep, his frustration evident. Yelling at Rafe, "You may have waited too fucking long to bring Liam here. His body is weak. I was barely able to reach his wolf within him." Hunter swung away from Rafe and started pacing, "He's young not yet old enough or mature enough to shift on his own. Without his wolf he won't heal."

"Then fucking call him. His wolf will respond to you, you're his sire. But not only that your the ALPHA of Alpha, the KING of Wolves. All wolves must respond to you. All wolves must obey you." Rafe's anger was mounting to match that of Hunter's. "He's your son the true Heir to the Throne of Wolves. You must save him."

They were now face to face, yelling at each other. "Don't you think I fucking know that? But calling his wolf could be dangerous especially in his weakened state.”

"Well you just have to fucking make sure that it works and nothing happens to Liam. He means everything to Cameron." Rafe gritted out, pushing his face closer to Hunter

"If I were you, I would get the fuck out of my face. I have spent the last ten years looking for my mate and son. Dreading what may or may not have happened to them. Every time I thought I was close to finding them, they would suddenly disappear like smoke on the wind. Now I find out that it was all because of you." Hunter finished with a vicious snarl in Rafe's face.

Rafe was having none of this, "It is because of me that they’re alive. Do you think that from the moment I met Cameron that I didn't know that he was your mate. Your stench was all over him. It leaked from his very pores, because of the child that he was carrying. The child that had your blood running in his veins." Rafe snarled just as viciously.

"Then why the fuck did you help him? Why did you save them? Why have you protected them all these years. You knew that Cameron was my mate and that Liam is my son. There is no love lost between us, we've always been enemies. So answer me. Why?" Hunter needed these burning questioned answered. He had to know.

Rafe took a deep breath, he stepped back from Hunter and turned his back to him, saying the words that had Hunter stumbling in shock, "Because, Cameron is my mate too. It would seem that the gods have destined the three of us to be together."