Chapter Four MEET THE HAWKTHORNES

Picture above Hawkthorne mansion at the Hawkthorne Estate

Saturday rolled around surprisingly quickly. As Cameron got up out of bed, he stretched his arms over his head and made his way to his en-suite bathroom. Yawning and ruffling his air, Cameron looked into the mirror over the bathroom sink. He smiled at himself. He marvelled at how in just a short week he had settled contentedly in school and he wasn't miserable or unhappy.

He realized Thorne had a lot to do with that. Thorne just didn't know how to take no for an answer and he insisted on involving Cameron in everything and introducing him to everyone. Because of their schedule, they were always together and Thorne refused to allow Cameron to dwell on any negative thoughts or wallow in self pity. Which had been Cameron's intention.

But being in Thorne's constant company, Cameron found himself relaxing and opening up. Due to this fact however, Cameron had quickly gotten over is initial attraction to Thorne. Cameron realized that they were destined to be just incredibly good friends, best friends even. The week at school had just flown by. Cameron was now a member of both the Basketball Team and the Swim Team. This of course was due to Thorne's influence. Cameron had let it slip that he was the former captain of both teams at his old school and Thorne had gone to the respective coaches and persuaded them to include Cameron on the teams. Thorne of course was the Quarterback of the Football Team and Captain of the Basketball Team.

After using the toilet, Cameron took a long hot shower which further relaxed him. Getting out of the shower, he dried off and wrapped a towel around his lean hips and exited the bathroom. Back in his bedroom Cameron proceeded to quickly get dressed. Cameron then looked around his room, he had finally finished unpacking everything the night before and setting up his room to his liking. Suddenly his phone rang, Cameron frowned down at it on his bed, he wasn't expecting anyone to call him.

Picking it up he checked the caller ID and saw that it was Thorne. "I should have known.", Cameron muttered to himself. "Hello, what's up man." Cameron answered the phone. "Morning sleeping beauty. Hope you’re up, awake, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to go. I'll be at your door in five." Thorne's overly cheerful voice replied. "What?!" Cameron exclaimed. There was no reply, except for the beep that signalled that the call had ended.

Cursing under his breath, Cameron hurriedly puts on his shoes, grabbed his keys, wallet and jacket and rushed out of his bedroom. Racing down the stairs towards the front door, Cameron paused to poke his head in the kitchen where there were sounds of his mother making breakfast. "Morning mom, bye mom. See you later." Cameron said and he was gone and out the door before she could even register what he had said or even formulate a reply.

Just as Cameron exited the house, he saw Thorne pulling up to the curb. Cameron closed the door behind him and fast walked to the car. Jerking open the car door, Cameron got  in and proceeded to punch Thorne on the arm. "Hey, what was that for?" said Thorne, holding his arm in mock pain and hurt. "Wipe that look off your face. I know I didn't hurt you with that punch. You look ridiculous. And that was for the stunt that you just pulled. What if I wasn't already up and dressed?" Cameron replied.

Thorne ignored him and pulled away from the curb. After a few minutes, Cameron asked "where are we going so early anyway?". "My place." Thorne answered, looking over at him. "Why so early? I thought the party wasn't until this afternoon". Cameron questioned. "Well you see, I may have mentioned you once too often to my parents and now they're curious about you and wants to meet you. So they invited you to brunch." Thorne said, grinning over at him.

CAMERON...... "Wait, what? Why have you been talking about me and why would your parents want to meet me?"

THORNE..... "Well you see, I have these really insane parents that insists on being involved in my life and since you are my newest friend they just have to meet you. Kind of like a meet the parents think, that is if we were dating. Same concept but without the dating part."

Cameron groaned and face palmed, "if I had known, I would had locked myself in my room and ignored you when you pull up and started blowing the car horn. "

THORNE.... grinned evilly. "No worries. I would have just rang the doorbell, politely introduced myself to your parents, then asked to see you and of course you know that with this face and my killer smile they would have let me in, then I would have just come up stairs and pound on your bedroom door until you opened it."

CAMERON....scowling over at him. "I hate you sometimes, do you know that?"

Thorne....still smiling. "naww man, you know you love me. Anyway just to give you a heads up, both my parents and my big brother Hunter will be there this morning, oh and Hunter's present girlfriend. She spent the night, can't stand the woman, but as long as she makes my brother happy my parents and I are willing to put up with her."

CAMERON....."Your brother still lives at home? How old is he?"

THORNE..."My brother is 25. No he doesn't still live at home. At least not permanently. He has a whole wing of the house to himself and so do I. My parents have their own wing too and of course there is a guest wing. He only stays over on the weekends. He has his own Penthouse here in the city. My family house is about a couple hours outside of town. It's actually an estate situated on hundreds of acres of land."

CAMERON....."Wait a minute, what do you mean by wings and estate? Do you live in some kind of mansion or something?"

Suddenly Thorne pulled the car over to the side of the road and stopped the car. Turning in his seat to face Cameron with a rather serious expression on his face Thorne said, "I have a confession to make. Do you know what my last name is?"

CAMERON..."No. Come to think of it, you never told me and I've never heard anybody in school call you anything but Thorne. Why?"

Thorne...."Because I don't like being called by my last name. It causes people to look at me differently, especially when they're meeting me for the first time and don't know me. My entire existence has been defined by my last name and I hate it. I didn't want you to be another one in a really long line of people that have used my last name to determine their opinion of me or worse try to use me because of it."

CAMERON......"Thorne, what is your last name?"

THORNE....."My last name is Hawkthorne." At this revelation Cameron was stunned speechless. Cameron had no idea how to react or respond to this, so he said nothing. Instead he turned away to stare out the car window. An uncomfortable silence ensued.

They just sat there, both lost in their own thoughts. Cameron digesting the news that his new friend was the wealthiest kid in not just the city, but the entire state. Maybe even one of the wealthiest kids in the world, and that he hadn't trusted him with the information. Hawkthorne Industries and Enterprises being the company that his father works for, Cameron new something of the kind of wealth and power that the Hawkthorne had. Counted among the top 5 wealthiest and most powerful Companies in the world. The families true net worth was unknown, because they guarded their privacy fiercely.

Thorne's thoughts were wrapped up in a blanket of misery and self recrimination. He worried that he was about to lose his newest friend. A guy who's friendship was coming to mean a lot to him. All because he had been insecure about how he would react to him if he knew the truth about him from the very beginning.

After awhile of deep thought and contemplation, Cameron turned to Thorne with a look of understanding and smiled at him.

CAMERON....."Listen man, don't worry about it. I understand why you didn't tell me. If I was in your shoes I would never tell anyone either. I'm nowhere near as wealthy as you, but I do know what it is like to be befriended because of your last name or hated because of it. Back home because of my father's job I was considered the rich kid, the one with all the money. Lots of kids in school were either jealous of me for it, while some others tried to use me for it. So I understand your reluctance to put yourself out there like that."

THORNE....looking over at Cameron incredulously..."So, we're good. You're not mad at me or anything?"

CAMERON.....grinning "Yes man we're good. Now lets go. You promised to feed me and I'm starving"

They high fived each other and still grinning at each other in happiness, Thorne pulled away from the side of the road and headed towards his family estate.

As they pulled up in front of the Hawkthorne mansion which was at the end of a really long drive way ending in a circle, Cameron gawked up at the massive building.

THORNE....."Dude, close your mouth. You look like your catching flies.", Thorne laughingly said.

CAMERON....glaring over at him, "My mouth wasn't open. And anyway I just realized that you lied to me. You said that last year you were the new kid."

THORNE....."Of course. How else was I gonna get you to talk to me. But just to set the record straight, I was born in this town. My family is one of the founding family of this city. We go back over 200 years."

Cameron crossed his arms across his chest and continued to glare over at Thorne, "is there anything else that you have neglected to tell me?" he gritted out through clenched teeth.

"Nope." Thorne said popping the p, smirking unrepentantly. "But if I remember something, I'll be sure to inform you right away. Lets head inside."

They made there way inside and Cameron tried his best not to marvel at the obvious signs of extreme wealth that was on display before him. Every surface shone, glittered or sparkled. The mansion was decorated to perfection. Every piece of furniture, rug, artwork, painting was extremely expensive and carefully selected and strategically placed to come together in a warm and welcome home. Cameron loved it.

Thorne led Cameron outside to the breakfast area by the pool. Waiting out there, was his mother and father and a young woman. Thorne walked over towards the trio with Cameron trailing behind him. Cameron suddenly felt nervous as he surveyed the elegant looking man and woman that were obviously Thorne's parents.

Cameron watched as both the man and woman enveloped Thorne in a three way hug and kissed his cheeks. Then as one they turned towards him all three smiling.

THORNE...."Mom, dad please meet Cameron. Cameron this is my mom and dad."

Cameron walked over to them and extended his hand for a handshake saying, "pleased to meet you"

They both shook his hand and smiling at him Thorne's father replied "the pleasure is all ours. We have been hearing a lot about you this past week. Welcome to our home. Please have a seat." He gestured towards the chairs and lounges scattered elegantly around the area.

There was a clearing of throat behind Thorne. Looking around at the sound Thorne smirked. "Oh I almost forgot that you were here. " Thorne said sarcastically to the beautiful dark haired woman standing behind him “Cameron this is Bethany, my brother's friend".

She gave Thorne the same sarcastic smile and her eyes shot daggers at him before she transformed her features into one of politeness and smiled at Cameron extending her hand in greeting. Cameron shook her hand and quickly let her hand go.

"So, where is Hunter" Thorne asked, popping a grape into his mouth. "You know your brother. Always working. He's inside taking an urgent business call. He should be back any minute now though." Thorne's dad answered.

As they all sat down and started talking, Thorne's parents questioned Cameron somewhat. About his old home town, how he felt about moving, how he liked it here in Cromwell City and his new school and any plans for the future. Cameron found that he wasn't in anyway bothered by the questions and answered them honestly and frankly. Thorne tried interrupting his parents to get them to back off, however Cameron reassured him that he really didn't mind.

The conversation flowed smoothly has they ate and talked. Seamlessly moving from one topic to the other. Cameron didn't know how long the four of them had been engaged in conversations, when they were interrupted by Bethany saying, "oh look. Here comes Hunter."

Cameron turned his head around in the direction of the doors behind him and for the third time that day he was struck dumb, utterly speechless. His brain short circuited and no coherent thoughts would formulate.