ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜰɪᴠᴇ

«JUST SURVIVE»

ONCE OUTSIDE THE COTTAGE, the group found themselves surrounded by the desolate landscape, the morning sun casting long shadows across the uneven ground. The man kept a vigilant eye on Chloe, Negan, and Aaron, his gun ever-ready while Chloe focused on her bow, now hanging from the man's shoulder.

He had confiscated their weapons, and Chloe harboured concerns that he might not return them. The unique bow she possessed would be challenging to replace, and the thought of losing it unsettled her.

"Now, let's try this again," he demanded, his tone firm. "Why are you really here? No more lies."

"Listen, man, we were just trying to find a safe place to rest," Negan said as he walked ahead of the man slowly.

"We're just surviving together, the three of us," Chloe said.

The man's gaze intensified, searching for any signs of deception. "Surviving together, huh? You expect me to believe that?"

"It's the truth," Aaron asserted. "We've encountered our fair share of trouble, just like everyone else out here. We're not looking for any trouble."

"There have been large waves of the rotten passing sweeping all over the place," the man told them. "People wearing rotten masks, are you part of them?"

"What? No," Aaron told him. "Do we look like them?"

A moment of tense silence hung in the air as the man continued to assess them. Finally, he spoke, "Keep moving. We're going to your camp. If what you're saying checks out, maybe we won't have a problem. But if I sense anything off, things will get real ugly, real fast."

"Funny coming from one man. Let's say we do have a group, and we show up with you pointing your gun at us. What do you think happens?" Negan challenged him.

The man's steely gaze shifted between Negan and the others. "Pointing a gun is the only language these days that keeps people in check and by the looks of it, people around here lack firearms nowadays."

"Around here?" Chloe asked. "Where are you from?"

"Not around here," the man told her motioning for them to keep walking.

"Texas?" Negan asked him. "You sound like one."

"You better be leading me to that camp of yours now," the man said.

Chloe exchanged a few glances with Aaron, both contemplating whether they should genuinely lead him to Alexandria or continue with their charade. For all they knew, he might already be aware of their community and with a shared nod they agreed to do so.

If things go down, they have the numbers to take him down.

As they moved, the man continued his interrogation, "How long have you been out here? Any encounters with the masked ones?"

"Long enough to tell that you are not from around here," Aaron replied, his tone measured. "Perhaps you could tell us what you were doing around here."

Chloe, keeping a close eye on their surroundings, remained silent, carefully considering their options. Negan, however, couldn't resist adding his own commentary. "You know, we might be of more help if you put that gun down. Trust goes both ways, right?"

The man's expression remained stoic, his gaze unwavering. "I'll decide when trust is earned."

"Why do you want us to lead you to our community, and what makes you so sure that we have one?" Chloe questioned him.