ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ

«The Storm»

THE KINGDOM crumbled, succumbing to the encroaching cold. The people, gripped by the harsh reality, wrestled with the challenge of pressing forward.

Tom continued to mourn the loss of his friend Henry, finding solace in the companionship of Lydia, who shared in his sorrow. The abrupt departure of Henry left Tom grappling with the absence of a proper goodbye.

Despite the highs and lows in their friendship, Tom cherished Henry like a dear brother, and the pain of his loss resurrected memories of another dear friend, Carl.

Having lost both friends, Tom found himself grappling with a profound sense of loneliness, as there was no one else left to call a friend.

Chloe and Logan made every effort to divert Tom's attention as they prepared to depart. They kept a watchful eye on him, fearful that he might succumb to a dark place similar to Lydia, who seemed to have lost all hope in life.

Ezekiel, frustrated by Carol's enduring grief over Henry, shifted his anger toward Daryl, choosing to hold him responsible instead of blaming Carol. Daryl, weighed down by guilt found solace in Chloe, who remained a steadfast presence, helping him persevere in the face of overwhelming odds.

Indeed, Chloe became the pillar of support for many. Alongside caring for Tom and Daryl, she took on the responsibility of being there for both Merle and John, who had been her constants. All the while, she grappled with her own emotions, having lost Tara, whom she considered a friend.

"No one can agree on what to do next," Michonne said as they marched towards Hilltop. Gabriel, Siddiq, Rosita, and Eugene had already returned to Alexandria with the kids, leaving the rest to ensure the safe passage of the Kingdom residents to Hilltop.

Daryl had initially suggested that Chloe and Tom join the group heading to Alexandria, but Chloe adamantly insisted on staying with him. Fearing the dangers that surrounded them, she preferred to stay close to her group, and ultimately, they all decided to stick together.

"And the Council can't reach any security resolutions?" Ezekiel inquired.

"Everyone's still reeling from the losses—Jesus, Tara, and the others," Michonne explained. "And still nothing from Maggie. The Council sent another letter, but... we haven't heard anything back."

"Well—" Ezekiel attempted to speak, but he was interrupted by the whispers that surrounded them.

"Is that them?" Alden inquired as he surveyed the surroundings from the top of his horse. "People watching us now, huh?"

Lydia, walking alongside Tom, became the focus of his words. "Well, we followed their rules," Alden remarked to her. "Haven't they done enough to us?"

"Hey," Daryl intervened. "Why don't you lay off."

"You don't have to protect me," Lydia whispered. "I know how they feel about me."

"No," Daryl insisted. "Doesn't mean they get to talk to you like that."

Lydia confronted the hate she used to receive, and it intensified now that the community had lost thirteen of its people. They all wanted to blame her and her people, but Chloe, Daryl, and Logan made sure to shut them down every time.

"Henry wanted her here," Chloe stated as she observed the scene unfolding. "When no one else did.

"She's a good kid," Carol chimed in. "Every time I look at her, all I see is him."

"Who do you see when you look at me?" Daryl asked her.

"I see you," Carol smiled. It was a relief for both Daryl and Chloe to see her smile.