Chapter Four

Aubrey Graham | 32

Aubrey Graham | 32

"Aubrey? Is that you?" I was standing on my mom's porch with my hands in my pockets smiling.

Her hands were covering her mouth looking shocked like she couldn't believe I was here.

Shit, I still couldn't believe I got out. All this shit is still hitting me!

"Not it can't be! Your supposed to be in J-,"

"Ma, I'm here. I'm not in there no more." I held my arms up and she fully embraced me. It was a good feeling hugging my mom.

The day my mother found out got arrested for murder she was very disappointed in me. There was a time she didn't have contact with me for some months because of what I do.

Nobody outside of my boys and D knew that I actually killed that man.

"I don't understand— how are you out?" I made my way inside the house closing the door back.

"You not excited I'm out?"

"I am it's just I didn't know son!"

While my mom was talking I heard some footsteps coming close.There he was, my four-year-old son, my heart raced. He waddle into the room with a piece of bread in his tiny hand. The weight of the past melted away, replaced by the warmth of a second chance and the simple joy of a shared moment.

"Dada!"

His innocent eyes met mine, and in that moment, the complexities of the past seemed to fade. The piece of bread he held, a symbol of his small world, became a bridge between us. A fresh start, a chance to build a future filled with love and understanding.

I knelt down, meeting him at eye level. His hesitant smile revealed a mix of curiosity and caution. The crunch of the bread echoed in the room as he took a small bite, mirroring the tentative steps we both were taking. In that shared simplicity, the promise of a new beginning unfolded.

"I forgot to tell you he was here. He was sleep but he must've just had gotten up and got him a piece of bread." My mother said looking between me and Amir.

My focus was all on him. I didn't realize I would be seeing him today. Seeing him for the first time ever just made me emotional as ever.

"Yeah little man, it's me." I smiled watching him.

His tiny hand reached out, offering me a piece of his bread, a gesture that transcended the simplicity of the act. Accepting it, I realized it wasn't just about the food; it was about acceptance and forgiveness. In those moments of vulnerability, a silent pact was formed between us — a promise to move forward, leaving behind the shadows of the past.

 In those moments of vulnerability, a silent pact was formed between us — a promise to move forward, leaving behind the shadows of the past